Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same day delivery.

Watch stuff that I've recorded on the DVR on my laptop

Reply
pcnerd
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Posts: 174
Registered: ‎09-12-2009

Watch stuff that I've recorded on the DVR on my laptop

Message 1 of 12
(730 Views)

On my laptop, I can see the shows that I've recorded on the DVR but I can't watch them. How do I watch the shows on the DVR on my laptop or my desktop?

11 REPLIES 11
pcnerd
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Posts: 174
Registered: ‎09-12-2009

Re: Watch stuff that I've recorded on the DVR on my laptop

Message 2 of 12
(642 Views)

Sorry about that! I didn't realize that I had posted duplicate posts.

 

After I sent the post, I researched my question. Apparently, it isn't possible to view DVR recordings on a PC or Mac. One can watch the recordings on a smartphone or a tablet. I also found out that one can install an emulator so that one can watch the recorded shows on a computer or a tablet. I have a 2 Macs. I found out that the new Mac laptops with the M1 processor can natively run IOS apps. My 2018 Mac mini doesn't have an M1 processor. It has an Intel processor. My 2013 MacBook Air also has an Intel processor. So, I'd have to install an emulator onto both of my computers in order to watch the shows that I've recorded on my DVR. DARN!

pcnerd
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Posts: 174
Registered: ‎09-12-2009

Re: Watch stuff that I've recorded on the DVR on my laptop

Message 3 of 12
(488 Views)

I've seen conflicting answers to my question.

 

One states that it isn't possible to watch the stuff on the DVR on my laptop. I can only watch what I've recorded on a tablet. Another states that I need the quantum router. I have the "antique" Actiontec. I'd like to get the quantum router. I think that is no longer on the website, right? The latest one is white & round.

 

So, bottom line, must I buy a tablet in order to watch what I've recorded on the DVR or is it possible to watch the stuff on the DVR on my laptop & desktop?

 

Of course, the ideal is to be able to watch the DVR stuff on BOTH a tablet AND a computer.

clem53
Gold Contributor III Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Posts: 1,513
Registered: ‎12-06-2010

Re: Watch stuff that I've recorded on the DVR on my laptop

Message 4 of 12
(483 Views)

@pcnerd wrote:

I've seen conflicting answers to my question.

 

One states that it isn't possible to watch the stuff on the DVR on my laptop. I can only watch what I've recorded on a tablet. Another states that I need the quantum router. I have the "antique" Actiontec. I'd like to get the quantum router. I think that is no longer on the website, right? The latest one is white & round.

 

So, bottom line, must I buy a tablet in order to watch what I've recorded on the DVR or is it possible to watch the stuff on the DVR on my laptop & desktop?

 

Of course, the ideal is to be able to watch the DVR stuff on BOTH a tablet AND a computer.


As was said above, if you install an Android emulator like blustacks on your PC, you can install the Fios app to that and use it to watch your recordings.

pcnerd
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Posts: 174
Registered: ‎09-12-2009

Re: Watch stuff that I've recorded on the DVR on my laptop

Message 5 of 12
(441 Views)

I went to the Blustacks website & looked around.

 

I sent an e-mail. This is their reply: We would like to let you know that Bluestacks has not been tested for its compatibility with FIOS.

 

So, I have some more questions. I have an Android smartphone & I'm considering getting an Android tablet. What is the name of the app that needs to be installed so that I can watch the stuff that I've recorded on the FIOS DVR?

 

I've never installed or used an emulator. Once it's installed on my laptop, is there a Google Play store from which I can download the FIOS app?

 

If one has an iPhone or an iPad, can one watch the movies & TV shows that are recorded on the DVR?

clem53
Gold Contributor III Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Posts: 1,513
Registered: ‎12-06-2010

Re: Watch stuff that I've recorded on the DVR on my laptop

Message 6 of 12
(437 Views)

@pcnerd wrote:

I went to the Blustacks website & looked around.

 

I sent an e-mail. This is their reply: We would like to let you know that Bluestacks has not been tested for its compatibility with FIOS.

 

So, I have some more questions. I have an Android smartphone & I'm considering getting an Android tablet. What is the name of the app that needs to be installed so that I can watch the stuff that I've recorded on the FIOS DVR?

 

I've never installed or used an emulator. Once it's installed on my laptop, is there a Google Play store from which I can download the FIOS app?

 

If one has an iPhone or an iPad, can one watch the movies & TV shows that are recorded on the DVR?


The Emulator runs under windows as another operating system in a window. You go to the Play Store in Bluestacks, just like you would on an android device and install the Fios app. Then run it from Bluestacks. The Fios app is available for Android, and IOS, so you should be able to watch on any of those devices. look here for more info on the app:

 

https://www.verizon.com/home/fios-tv-app/

pcnerd
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Posts: 174
Registered: ‎09-12-2009

Re: Watch stuff that I've recorded on the DVR on my laptop

Message 7 of 12
(433 Views)

HMMM.

 

I also found out that Virtual Box is recommended but that Blustacks will run without it.

 

I don't understand why an emulator is necessary. I should only need to go the website & click on a movie or TV show that I've recorded & watch it.

 

Why can't it be simple? I need to install Virtual Box & Blustacks! You know Murphy's Law. One or both programs will lock up or freeze or crash. If only I could watch the stuff that I've recorded on the DVR without going thru hoops.

clem53
Gold Contributor III Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Posts: 1,513
Registered: ‎12-06-2010

Re: Watch stuff that I've recorded on the DVR on my laptop

Message 8 of 12
(382 Views)

@pcnerd wrote:

HMMM.

 

I also found out that Virtual Box is recommended but that Blustacks will run without it.

 

I don't understand why an emulator is necessary. I should only need to go the website & click on a movie or TV show that I've recorded & watch it.

 

Why can't it be simple? I need to install Virtual Box & Blustacks! You know Murphy's Law. One or both programs will lock up or freeze or crash. If only I could watch the stuff that I've recorded on the DVR without going thru hoops.

 

The Fios app is obviously an APP, not a Windows program, therefore you need to run an app-centric OS to use the app. It would seem there are far more people using app based devices to remote stream than Windows computers, I assume that's why they didn't make a PROGRAM. Other than the expense of creating two pieces of software to do the same thing.

pcnerd
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Posts: 174
Registered: ‎09-12-2009

Re: Watch stuff that I've recorded on the DVR on my laptop

Message 9 of 12
(300 Views)

Do I have a hardware option?

 

I've looked around the settings menu on the DVR & I've seen the word "cloud". Does that mean that I can upload the stuff on the DVR, swap it for another DVR & download the stuff from the cloud to the new DVR?

 

I read online that the Quantum DVR is a video media server. Isn't that what I need? Couldn't I watch the stuff on the Quantum DVR from anywhere on any device with internet access?

 

I think that FIOS no longer has the Quantum DVR, correct? Is the TV One a media server?

 

Is a video media server what I'm looking for?

clem53
Gold Contributor III Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Posts: 1,513
Registered: ‎12-06-2010

Re: Watch stuff that I've recorded on the DVR on my laptop

Message 10 of 12
(291 Views)

@pcnerd wrote:

Do I have a hardware option?

 

I've looked around the settings menu on the DVR & I've seen the word "cloud". Does that mean that I can upload the stuff on the DVR, swap it for another DVR & download the stuff from the cloud to the new DVR?

 

I read online that the Quantum DVR is a video media server. Isn't that what I need? Couldn't I watch the stuff on the Quantum DVR from anywhere on any device with internet access?

 

I think that FIOS no longer has the Quantum DVR, correct? Is the TV One a media server?

 

Is a video media server what I'm looking for?


The main Fios one box IS a video server, VMS 4100. The Mini is a client IPC 4100. You cannot upload from the server to the cloud, the media is stored on the server. If you swap VMS boxes, you loose any recorded programs. You sound like you want something like a Slingbox. That would do what you want. If you are dead set against viewing content using the Fios app, you will have to use theirs instead.

 

https://www.slingbox.com/

How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started


Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.