Watching FIOS on my computer
DVR22
I have a Windows XP computer that I'd like to connect to Verizon FIOS using the Motorola QIP6200.  Is this possible and if so, how?  Thanks for any help out there.
0 Likes
Re: Watching FIOS on my computer
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2
You need to have a TV tuner in your PC. Tuners can be installed internally, or there are versions that connect to a USB port. I personally use the Hauppauge PVR1800, because it gives me QAM HD capability in addition to the channels through the box. I use the Motorola DCT700, because of space limitations. There are other manufacturers like ATI, Pinnacle and others. Just be certain you look for a digital tuner. There are still some analog tuners floating around. I am very pleased with my setup. The PQ is typical FIOS quality.    
0 Likes
ddrager
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Hauppage HD-PVR Line of products work great for receiving unencrypted QAM channels off of FiOS. Unfortunately, there are only several channels that Verizon leaves unencrypted. This is mainly because they want to sell you the set top boxes at +$10 a month.

One way to receive the encrypted content is to rent a DCT700. However this does not display HD content.

Hooking up one of the HD boxes via component would let you watch FiOS on your TV. It's a pain in the butt if you ask me. I have a remote for the PC and a remote for the tuner this way.

I use the software BeyondTV at http://www.snapstream.com/  to watch unencrypted QAM on my PC. It also turns your PC into a DVR. It's a great all-in-one solution but only works with unencrypted QAM.

Unfortunatly the Cable/TV Companies have a lock on you, so it is not likely that they will let you get a lot of their content without renting their boxes. It is a shame but unless the FCC passes a regulation to make them use unencrypted streams, you are tied to their equipment.

0 Likes
jsracing
So as long as you have a digital tuner in your PC and a DCT700 (or similar) box I can watch TV on my computer.  I would connect this just as I was connecting a TV correct?  RG6 feed into the box then RG6 from the box to the PC tuner?  I would then use the remote for the box to change channels?  Thanks
0 Likes
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2
JS, That is correct, you can use the RG6. You can also use composite if the box and tuner allow. I use composite from my DCT700 to my Hauppauge tuner card.
0 Likes