Weird FOX Pillar Box Showed up Today
MD_Customer
Today we started to see both letter boxing and pillar boxing on some FOX shows on the non-HD channels. It results in the the overall image being about 2/3 the size of our TV screen, sitting like a small box in the middle of the screen. Could this be related to the switch to daylight savings (which makes no sense) or switch to all digital (which I thought had been delayed). We tried playing with the box's aspect ration button, but saw no difference. Thanks!
0 Likes
Re: Weird FOX Pillar Box Showed up Today
Justin46
Legend

I cannot address the letterboxing you are seeing, other than to say where I am, in North Texas, I don't see it, I see the normal 4:3 with pillars on the sides. Plus I rarely watch any SD channels any more, so if it did happen here earlier I missed it. But when I tune to 232 (foxmovie) right now for example (The Last of the Mohicans), I do see letterboxing - is this what the FOX SD channel looks like for you?

As to the digital switch, I think you are confusing the over-the-air broadcast digital change with FiOS. FiOS got rid of the analog channels in all areas many months ago; even though you might be watching FOX on channel 4, for example, it is a digital signal, not analog.

And no, I also can't see any relationship to the time change.

Are you saying that the Aspect button did not affect the picture at all, or it just didn't fix the problem? My Aspect button (the # button) affects the picture on all channels.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
MD_Customer

Well, it may just be one of those things we have to live with. It now looks like it's only happening on Family Guy and American Dad; other shows (e.g., local news showing now) look fine.

And aspect button did nothing; but maybe because we don't have a digital TV?

Thanks for your speedy reply!

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Sometimes the local stations just get their broadcast stuff in the wrong format, although usually only on the HD channels, they will suddenly start broadcasting in SD, for example, and Verizon can't do anything but send it right along to us. So it really may be the local FOX channel screwing it up.

Well, maybe I should have asked whether you have an HD STB. The aspect button works on my HD DVR but has no effect when used on my SD STB.

Keller, TX 76248 

0 Likes
Teasip
Enthusiast - Level 3
Point in case, the Sunday NASCAR race during a portion of the beginning was not televised in HD here in N. Texas (commented to the wife about it) but later on after a commercial break was in HD.  The camera was one of the fixed, off track types which transmit HD.  Whether it was a local issue or a national feed issue I do not know.  I do know it wasn't a FiOS issue since the signal was OTA.
Message Edited by Teasip on 03-09-2009 04:19 AM
0 Likes