What components are actually installed with FIOS TV and Internet?A
Brian
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am considering FIOS triple play.  I have DSL now and I'm happy, with Cable Vision and no digital TV.  I'm considering moving everything to FIOS but I have not been able to get clear information about what the install involves, and what I get.  Is there a site anywhere that has clear information about these questions?

1.  How big is the battery unit and where should it be installed?

2.  Can the TV service use existing cable in multiple rooms, or do I need the wireless boxes to transmit images  from the DVR unit to set-top boxes?

3.  If I can use existing cable, I'm assuming I can get basic digital with a tuner in my new TV.  Anyone know where to find a list of stations that I would get without set-top boxes?

4.  Where in a home is the best place to install for wireless?  Right now my DSL router is in a basement and I use a very old 2Wire DSL router that feeds 10MBs signals over my telephone lines, which are all over my house.  Works fine but it's slower that FIOS.  Not sure if a wireless router in the basement will work in my 2 story home.

5.  I was once told that the DVR unit broadcast to set-top boxes wirelessly, but what I'm reading in various forums confuses me--seems there are coax connections here.  Are both possible?  

I'm sure there are other questions I should understand to decide about blowing off TV and internet that I currently like, but I haven't gone digital at all and am considering FIOS when everything coverts.  Thanks for any references or info you can suggest.

0 Likes
Re: What components are actually installed with FIOS TV and Internet?A
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

1) The battery backup unit is about 8 inches wide unless you get the 1 piece battery backup and power supply unit which is wider. It needs to be installed indoors near an electrical outlet.

2) Your existing coax will be used and Verizon will install Motorola STBs at your TVs.

3) You do not get any stations without a box unless your TV has a built in QAM tuner then you will get only unscrambled channels.

4) Install the router near the area that you intend on using the wireless signal.

5) The Home Media DVR uses a MOCA signal over your existing coax to communicate with the other STBs.

0 Likes
Brian
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, that's just the info I've been looking for.

Brian 

0 Likes
JohnGuitar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Don't forget the ONT - Optical network terminal. This is the device that actually provides Fios service to your home.  This will replace the black NID currently on your house.  Prior to the day of installation techs will run fiber from the street to the side of your house to prepare themselves for the actual install.  So don't freak out when someone is digging on the side of your house prior to the install date, and don't worry they do a great job making sure everything was the way it was before they dug. 

on another note the install itself can take anywhere from 4-8 hours. Once the install is complete all Copper facilities will be removed, meaning once you go fiber you can't go back to copper lines/dsl services unless another provider puts those back in for you, or you pay a private contractor to do so. 

all in all the install is enjoyable, and the techs are nice and helpful.  Any questions and im sure they will be mroe then happy to answer for you.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

The ONT (Optical Network Terminal) would usually be installed outside near where your existing phone lines are. The power supply and battery backup can be installed almost anywhere there is an outlet for power. Closer to the ONT is easier for installer. Existing cable should be RG6 and not RG59. The RG59 does not handle the higher frequencies well. The set top boxes use Internet Protocol for the Channel Guide updates, and Video on Demand. The router shows the coax IP that uses MOCA at 1050mhz. This is why you need good coax. So you can put your router near the most used computer and best antenna location, if it is near the coax. I have two wireless laptops, and one wireless PC, and my router is in the basement of my three story house. Laptops work well up stairs. I also have 4 wired computers in the basement.

Here is a kink with more detailed information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIOS

Message Edited by prisaz on 11-24-2008 05:48 PM
0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

@JohnGuitar wrote:

and don't worry they do a great job making sure everything was the way it was before they dug. 

Uhhhhh... not ALWAYS!

In my case, the diggers cut my active cable feed (and they ran the fiber a full WEEK before the in-house install) so I was without anything aside from a half-dozen OTA channels for a week.  Fortunately, my internet was not via cable, but DSL.  When I called them on it, they said "Not our problem.  Call your cable provider."

0 Likes
yenracd
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here's a link to a website page of someone who described their installation (pictures of the products installed are included).  I found it very helpful.

http://www.bricklin.com/fiosinstall.htm

We had an electrical outlet put in down the basement near the electrical box.  The ONT is on the outside of our house in the same area we have our electrical box inside.  My husband did what was in the picture....he installed plywood to the basement wall, this way the battery back-up box and power adapter are near the outside ONT and kept out of sight down in the basement.  The router for the internet is near our main computer and the strength is excellent even upstairs in our house...in fact, it's even strong outside of our house.

Also, we have outside electrical, phone and cable lines so no digging was done at our house.  And they were also here for a long time....they came before 9 a.m. and didn't leave until 5!

Here's another link that was helpful.

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSInternet/Installation/Installation.htm

Message Edited by yenracd on 11-26-2008 09:17 AM
Message Edited by yenracd on 11-26-2008 09:19 AM