Switch Account

What if I buy a FIOS DVR on Ebay?

What if I buy a FIOS DVR on Ebay?

Copper Contributor sxrd60inch
Copper Contributor
Message 1 of 18
(10,653 Views)

Can I "own" it and pay Verizon for activation without renting the STB I have?  If not, what do people buy these for?

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Silver Contributor II
Silver Contributor II
Message 2 of 18
(10,632 Views)

If its not stolen and bricked.....meaning the person who is selling it paid full price for it because they failed to return it to Verizon then you can have it activated from what I know, but you will still have to pay the monthly fees regardless.

Why do people buy them? Probably because they don't know they will still have to pay those monthly fees. They find out afterwards. With the new media servers starting to finally roll out I wouldnt want one of the current ones anyways.

Silver Contributor I
Silver Contributor I
Message 3 of 18
(10,616 Views)

Dont buy it. Verizon will not activate it! Get a Ceton or Homerun tuner. All you will need is a cable card from Verizon. You will be a lot happier.

Copper Contributor chomper87
Copper Contributor
Message 4 of 18
(10,578 Views)

If you want to try something easier than the Ceton or HDHomerun,

Take a look at this STB from Samsung. Though it's not a DVR.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/blu-ray-dvd/GX-SM530CF/XAA

Gold Contributor I
Gold Contributor I
Message 5 of 18
(10,546 Views)

@sxrd60inch wrote:

Can I "own" it and pay Verizon for activation without renting the STB I have?  If not, what do people buy these for?

No, you're only wasting your money. Verizon will NEVER activate it because to them it is a stolen box. Those boxes on ebay are almost always stolen or those that were never returned and in Verizon's eyes they are all stolen.

Gold Contributor I
Gold Contributor I
Message 6 of 18
(10,545 Views)

@beetlejuice wrote:

If its not stolen and bricked.....meaning the person who is selling it paid full price for it because they failed to return it to Verizon then you can have it activated from what I know, but you will still have to pay the monthly fees regardless.

Why do people buy them? Probably because they don't know they will still have to pay those monthly fees. They find out afterwards. With the new media servers starting to finally roll out I wouldnt want one of the current ones anyways.

They won't activate it even if it was a failed to return box.

Copper Contributor sxrd60inch
Copper Contributor
Message 7 of 18
(10,474 Views)

Thanks everyone for the replies.  These answers prompt me to ask more questions but it's probably better to start a new thread.

Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 8 of 18
(10,441 Views)

You can purchase a DVR/STB from some other Vendor.  Currently the only one I know of is Tivo, although their have been others in the past.  You will still have to rent a Cablecard to make it operate.

Copper Contributor rudra
Copper Contributor
Message 9 of 18
(10,071 Views)
It will work perfectly fine; however, you need to consider something before purchase. The content format keeps changing with technology change. Like recently when the content changed to mpeg, older boxes became useless. If there is any such change an you had purchased the box, your money will be completely wasted. It is better to rent the equipment as in that case Verizon will also take care of the technical issues with equipment or for any changes needed you will get the replacement box from Verizon.
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 10 of 18
(10,002 Views)

It will not work fine.

As several people stated above, Verizon will not activate any box that is not gotten from them directly.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.