quick menu

When did FIOS stop replacing remotes for free?

When did FIOS stop replacing remotes for free?

Contributor wwreith
Contributor
Message 1 of 10
(5,680 Views)

In the past when my remote stopped working I called or chatted and simply got a new one. Now FIOS is demanding I buy one. Since the FIOS remotes won't operate my tv fios box and blu ray, is always rather slow, and I have to buy one! Does anyone have suggestions for a remote that actually works well. 

9 REPLIES 9
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 2 of 10
(5,662 Views)

Verizon stopped giving them away for free when they found out people were getting them for free then selling them on ebay and such. I use harmony remotes to control my sound bar, cable box and tv the other 2 are verizon remotes as they only control the tv and cable box.

Contributor wwreith
Contributor
Message 3 of 10
(5,660 Views)

never even occurred to me to do that. You would think a 1 remote per X years policy would help. Oh well. Thanks for the suggestion. it has to be better than the standard FIOS remote.

Contributor MarkfromPhilly
Contributor
Message 4 of 10
(5,280 Views)

Verizon wants to charge me a monthly rental fee for the set top boxes but wants me to buy my own remote when theirs wears out? Um, no--it goes with the box.

Silver Contributor V Silver Contributor V
Silver Contributor V
Message 5 of 10
(5,234 Views)

@MarkfromPhilly wrote:

Verizon wants to charge me a monthly rental fee for the set top boxes but wants me to buy my own remote when theirs wears out? Um, no--it goes with the box.

Is Sony, Samsung or whatever TV maker you have going to give you a free remote when that remote breaks? What about Amazon when the Firestick remote breaks? No they are not. So why would Verizon?

Contributor SnoBrdr
Contributor
Message 6 of 10
(5,142 Views)

Because you are renting it.  You bought your tv, you didn't buy the box or the remote.

Platinum Contributor II Platinum Contributor II
Platinum Contributor II
Message 7 of 10
(5,120 Views)

If you lease a car, you are still responsible for maintenance.

They made a business decision.

Replacing remotes was costing too much.

And people were taking advantage of the deal and selling them on eBay.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Contributor qmart
Contributor
Message 8 of 10
(2,616 Views)

I believe the difference here is that the cable box is rented and the remote is needed to operate it. I view the remote as a functional part of the cable box and as such should be replaced at no charge if it fails.

Contributor TexasBear
Contributor
Message 9 of 10
(237 Views)

Why would anyone buy a fios remote on EBAY?  when they were free from the company.  That is a bogus answer in my opinion.  they just wanted to nickel and dime us even more.

Platinum Contributor II Platinum Contributor II
Platinum Contributor II
Message 10 of 10
(226 Views)

They had been free.

But too many people kept requesting them.

Then they tried only 1 per year per STB. Still had a lot of requests.

Not sure why people would buy them, but if you look on eBay there quite a large number of them for sale (along with some STBs but those are all not allowed to bought/sold)

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.

My Verizon

• Add or Change Plan
  • Suspend My Service
  • Apps

Support

Watch Fios