When does Texas get the 1.6 IMG update?
markperez
Contributor - Level 1

I was told by Customer service last week it would be this past wednesday and I believed them. Of course it didn't happen so now I am asking here for someone to give a confirmed date and the source that date is from.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: When does Texas get the 1.6 IMG update?
PJL
Master - Level 3
Both Texas and California were delayed, so don't feel alone here.
0 Likes
markperez
Contributor - Level 1

So what was the original schedule and why was this delayed? And not to be a pain in the butt but where are you getting this info? I ask because there has been a lot of BS going around and I just wanted to fine someone with creditable information.

BTW thanks for the reply

PS It would be nice if actual Verizon employees answered question on their own freaking board.

Message Edited by markperez on 09-05-2008 07:48 PM
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
This is a customer forum not Verizon Direct. The IMG was delayed because of problems in areas that it was already deployed in. It should be completed before November.
0 Likes
markperez
Contributor - Level 1

Ok if verizon direct is a forum then I don't know where to find it. If by verizon direct you mean their customer service then they are no help at all. If verizon has been releasing poor upgrades and they have had to stop the release then the QA testers and developers need to be released from their job duties. If the current push of 1.6 was beta testing then Verizon should have asked for volunteers and not pushed out a beta to a whole area without their knowledge. We all are paying a lot of money for this service and expect it to be run professionally, which at this moment it is not.

Message Edited by markperez on 09-06-2008 08:39 AM
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend
Verizon Direct is a specific forum at www.dslreports.com. The owners of that site have made arrangements with Verizon to have their employees handle questions in that forum. To use the Verizon Direct forum you must register as a user at dslreports.com (free), and when you post an item there a Verizon employee will respond. And only you and the Verizon folks can see the posts, not all members. I used Verizon Direct one time and was totally satisfied with the results, so you might want to give it a try.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Re: IMG 1.6. The new channel lineup for Texas shows an effective date of 10/8/08. Based on that, I think we will can expect to get the 1.6 level some time before that. I received weeks ago the letter from Verizon about the analog channels going away, and that is the first step in the process as I understand it. Then there is channel re-allignment and IMG 1.6.

I am just a FiOS user, but I have had the service for over three years, and have followed developments pretty closely via internet forums (don't believe everything you read!) and the Verizon web sites (gee, I really wish they would consolidate to one so you can find things). As I understand the history:

1) The original code in the STBs was called the IPG, developed by Microsoft.

2) Verizon apparently decided that they didn't want to depend on Microsoft, so they decided to develop the next generation in-house. Thus the new IMG.

3) They did do beta testing, some of the original beta testers post in some of the forums.

4) Over time they have delivered several levels of the IMG, with new functions each time. They have done beta testing, but bugs have still shown up. So clearly their development and testing is not as good as it should be, but on the other hand they took on a totally new software development project and have done a lot of work in a short period of time.

Are you experienced in software beta testing yourself, or in software Q&A? You seem to think you are an expert, and could do a better job. Why don't you apply to Verizon to do that job, then we could all sit back and work with a flawless system in (how long - 2 weeks? Two months? 2 years?). I was a technical support person/developer/tester in the computer business for 37 years, I know how difficult it is to test software. I want perfect software too, but I understand it just does not happen, especially when a project is really just in its infancy and changes are occuring constantly. Just MHO of course.

0 Likes
markperez
Contributor - Level 1

1. Justin thanks for telling me where the verizon direct forum is.

2. I don't care about your resume.

3. I don't care to give you my resume.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Justin wrote:

Re: IMG 1.6. The new channel lineup for Texas shows an effective date of 10/8/08. Based on that, I think we will can expect to get the 1.6 level some time before that. I received weeks ago the letter from Verizon about the analog channels going away, and that is the first step in the process as I understand it. Then there is channel re-allignment and IMG 1.6.

I am just a FiOS user, but I have had the service for over three years, and have followed developments pretty closely via internet forums (don't believe everything you read!) and the Verizon web sites (gee, I really wish they would consolidate to one so you can find things). As I understand the history:

1) The original code in the STBs was called the IPG, developed by Microsoft.

2) Verizon apparently decided that they didn't want to depend on Microsoft, so they decided to develop the next generation in-house. Thus the new IMG.

3) They did do beta testing, some of the original beta testers post in some of the forums.

4) Over time they have delivered several levels of the IMG, with new functions each time. They have done beta testing, but bugs have still shown up. So clearly their development and testing is not as good as it should be, but on the other hand they took on a totally new software development project and have done a lot of work in a short period of time.

Are you experienced in software beta testing yourself, or in software Q&A? You seem to think you are an expert, and could do a better job. Why don't you apply to Verizon to do that job, then we could all sit back and work with a flawless system in (how long - 2 weeks? Two months? 2 years?). I was a technical support person/developer/tester in the computer business for 37 years, I know how difficult it is to test software. I want perfect software too, but I understand it just does not happen, especially when a project is really just in its infancy and changes are occuring constantly. Just MHO of course.

Justin, you make some great points here.  Some people who have had no experience writing software think it's a piece of cake to do so, and clearly something as complex as the STB software is very challenging.  I, for one, appreciate your insight.
Message Edited by PJL on 09-06-2008 10:39 AM
0 Likes
CharlotteS
Moderator Emeritus

Hi everyone,

Great discussion. Let's keep the conversation focused on the issues. No personal comments, please. Thanks. Smiley Happy 

0 Likes