Which STB has the best picture quality since the FiOS TV app does not work with TVs?
Jumpem

It would be very nice if the FiOS TV app was able to work on TVs so we could have better picture quality like those with Spectrum's TV app.

That said, which FiOS STB has the best picture quality?  I have an older black DVR with a clock.  A Motorola 7232-P2 I think.  Given that all of the channels are broadcast in 720p or 1080i, is the TV One, or something else newer, worth looking at?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Which STB has the best picture quality since the FiOS TV app does not work with TVs?
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Jumpem wrote:

It would be very nice if the FiOS TV app was able to work on TVs so we could have better picture quality like those with Spectrum's TV app.

That said, which FiOS STB has the best picture quality?  I have an older black DVR with a clock.  A Motorola 7232-P2 I think.  Given that all of the channels are broadcast in 720p or 1080i, is the TV One, or something else newer, worth looking at?

I'm not sure if you can even get the 1100 series boxes anymore which would be the step up from your box. The new Fios One, aka 4100 boxes do have better picture quality than the old boxes like yours and the 1100 series. There is a lot more enhancement processing in the new boxes, and it shows. If you have a 4K capable TV you can watch some sports on two 4K channels from the box. Otherwise there is a Netfilx app and a Youtube app that will give you 4K. The box will also upscale 1080 to 4K, but some TVs might do a better job. If you have a Sony TV, it is android based and you MIGHT be able to install the Fios app to it, not 100% on that though.

View solution in original post

Re: Which STB has the best picture quality since the FiOS TV app does not work with TVs?
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Jumpem wrote:

I'm not sure if you can even get the 1100 series boxes anymore which would be the step up from your box. The new Fios One, aka 4100 boxes do have better picture quality than the old boxes like yours and the 1100 series. There is a lot more enhancement processing in the new boxes, and it shows. If you have a 4K capable TV you can watch some sports on two 4K channels from the box. Otherwise there is a Netfilx app and a Youtube app that will give you 4K. The box will also upscale 1080 to 4K, but some TVs might do a better job. If you have a Sony TV, it is android based and you MIGHT be able to install the Fios app to it, not 100% on that though.

Jumpem

I have a 4K TV and try to watch as much as I can streaming from an Apple TV 4K instead of the STB.  Even HD content looks much better streaming than using the STB.  I am just looking for a better STB for the times something is live or not available on a streaming app.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon ships Arris STBs for high definition TVs. For the, relatively, short amount of time that we've had them, they have been fairly reliable and produce a good picture.

I must qualify this observation with the admission that none of our TVs are 4K compatible.

The Arris system includes one unit that doubles as a DVR and enough non-DVR boxes to cover any remaining TVs.

Here is a picture of the non-DVR unit (IPC4100).

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

I also forgot to mention the Fios one (4100) boxes do NOT have a clock, OR component (RGB) outputs. If you really need either of those features you'll have to buy a clock, and an HDMI to component converter. When you set them up, they auto-detect the TV's resolution capabilities and will set themselves to either 1080i, or 2160P 4K.