White line appearing at top of screen on SD and some HD
copota
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've noticed a white line appearing atop my broadcast watching SD and some HD channels.

I know this line is part of the broadcast signal which is responsible for closed captioning or some other technical aspects. From what I've researched, a TV's overscan should crop out that part of the broadcast, unfortunately mine is not.

Here's my set up:

Vizio VL320M 32" 1080P HDTV (receiving signal via HDMI from receiver)

Sony STR-DH700 Receiver  (receivers HDMI switch outputting signal to Vizio TV)

Motorola QIP6416-2 DVR STB (connected via HDMI to receiver HDMI switch)

I can crop out the white line by setting my Vizio to Zoom1 or Stretch, though this distorts the image and is a pain to reset for channels which do not experience this problem.

I can also adjust the TV's vertical posistion up a few to get rid of the line, BUT when I switch HDMI ports to goto my xbox 360, then switch back to the HDMI port my cable is on, it appears that the STB resets my signal position and the line comes back.

I haven't tried component, and really do not want to switch from HDMI to component as some sort of work around.

If anyone has any suggestion to resolve this problem, please post. Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Likes
Re: White line appearing at top of screen on SD and some HD
VZ_Christian
Contributor - Level 2

Copota,

I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time with your picture!  Have you tried bypassing the receiver all together and connecting the HDMI cable directly from the STB to the TV?  IF so, do you still get the line?

Regards,

Chris

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@copota wrote:

I've noticed a white line appearing atop my broadcast watching SD and some HD channels.

I know this line is part of the broadcast signal which is responsible for closed captioning or some other technical aspects. From what I've researched, a TV's overscan should crop out that part of the broadcast, unfortunately mine is not.

Here's my set up:

Vizio VL320M 32" 1080P HDTV (receiving signal via HDMI from receiver)

Sony STR-DH700 Receiver  (receivers HDMI switch outputting signal to Vizio TV)

Motorola QIP6416-2 DVR STB (connected via HDMI to receiver HDMI switch)

I can crop out the white line by setting my Vizio to Zoom1 or Stretch, though this distorts the image and is a pain to reset for channels which do not experience this problem.

I can also adjust the TV's vertical posistion up a few to get rid of the line, BUT when I switch HDMI ports to goto my xbox 360, then switch back to the HDMI port my cable is on, it appears that the STB resets my signal position and the line comes back.

I haven't tried component, and really do not want to switch from HDMI to component as some sort of work around.

If anyone has any suggestion to resolve this problem, please post. Thanks for any suggestions.

Switching to component cables will not work.  This is how the broadcast is sent to Verizion.  I just checked an SD channel on FiOS that had the "white line" at the top of the screen.  Then I switched to the same channel using my antenna (over the air).  The picture was identical -- the "white line" was there too.  I don't believe there is a solutiion unless your TV allows a "slight zoom" that would move the area off of the screen.  Some TVs have this feature.

0 Likes
copota
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think I may have narrowed down the problem. I believe it's a handshake issue occurring between my Sony receiver and my TV, though I could be wrong. Maybe some of you A/V experts can see otherwise.

I've come to this conclusion because of the vertical setting being returned to its default position upon switching ports on my Sony's HDMI switch. Keep in mind my STB is connected to a port on my Receiver's HDMI switch and my receivers HDMI output is connected to my TV.

I can crop out the white broadcast line by simply adjusting the vertical position of my screen up of few pixels. HOWEVER, when I switch HDMI ports on my receiver, then come back to the port my STB is on, the vertical position resets itself to the default position, even though my TV's vertical setting never changed.

Here's another possible confirmation. If I press the menu button on my Vizio's remote, immediately upon the TV's menu appearing the vertical position goes to the position that's set in the TV. Strange, but that's what leads me to believe there's a conflict occurring somewhere between my receiver and TV.

I have confirmed this behavior does not occur when I connect my STB directly to my TV. I can switch my TV's HDMI ports and the vertical position holds.

I contacted Sony support, and they want me to take my receiver to a service center. I doubt that there's a problem with my receiver that can be fixed, so I'm just gonna use a workaround by activating my TV's menu so the handshake can complete after switching HDMI ports.

Since I have a universal remote that's capable of macro layering, it's just a matter of programming a layered macro to goto my STB port then activate the TV menu to initiate the vertical setting.  Maybe at some other point in time I'll lug my receiver in, though unless I'm positive it can be fixed, I really don't feel like pulling apart my home theatre and explaining this to techs if I'm not even sure it can be fixed.

If anyone else knows of a better workaround please feel free to post it. Thanks.

0 Likes