Why am I paying for HD channels when they don't all work
PissedOff33

Here’s the problem:

The picture quality is the worst I have ever experienced.  I have always experienced Pixilation issues on Fios and complained to Verizon so many times, but now is so bad that most of the HD Channels are unwatchable.  I called and complained again last week and they finally they sent me a replacement DVR (referb/ used) box, but it did not solve the problem.  I really don’t understand the problem, I live in southern California, the house was new when I bought it 12 years ago and like all SoCal homes all the wires are run from one location throughout the house.  So I have had service from Dish, Comcast, Direct and now Fios they have all used the same distribution point and same cables.  I never had these issues with the other services, so why is Fios picture quality so poor?

STB Model 7216 P

Channels that never work 590,622,603,602, 600 ect...

Why is the OOb S/N Ratio: Fair???  shouldn't this be Excellent???

0 Likes
Re: Why am I paying for HD channels when they don't all work
PJL
Master - Level 3

@PissedOff33 wrote:

Here’s the problem:

The picture quality is the worst I have ever experienced.  I have always experienced Pixilation issues on Fios and complained to Verizon so many times, but now is so bad that most of the HD Channels are unwatchable.  I called and complained again last week and they finally they sent me a replacement DVR (referb/ used) box, but it did not solve the problem.  I really don’t understand the problem, I live in southern California, the house was new when I bought it 12 years ago and like all SoCal homes all the wires are run from one location throughout the house.  So I have had service from Dish, Comcast, Direct and now Fios they have all used the same distribution point and same cables.  I never had these issues with the other services, so why is Fios picture quality so poor?

STB Model 7216 P

Channels that never work 590,622,603,602, 600 ect...

Why is the OOb S/N Ratio: Fair???  shouldn't this be Excellent???

Your wiring may not meet the needs of FiOS MoCA distribution.  Is the coax RG59 or RG6?  RG6 is what Verizon uses.  Further, your splitters may be old and not working properly, passing certain QAM channel frequencies marginally well and other (as you have experienced) in a manner that cause pixilation issues.  I'm in Southern California also (Long Beach area) and the sea air tends to corrode connectors easily which impacts different QAM channels in different ways. 

A "Fair" ratio is not all that good, and may be borderline for the QAM channels that do not work.  This could be a problem with the optical network terminal as it should be putting out a strong enough signal that will work if the cabling plant is in good shape and is RF6.  In fact, the ONT usually puts out a "hot" signal that needs to be attenuated -- that's what mine does, and Verizon installed an attenuator to reduce the signal strength out of the ONT. 

Is it possible to replace the splitter at the location where all coax runs with a splitter that just connects the actual coax feeds to STBs where you need them, or test just one STB coax without splitting from the ONT coax?  This might narrow the issue to the ONT versus the cable plant.

If you're not up to performing the type of troubleshooting I wrote about, then call or chat Verizon support and demand a home visit.  If it's your wiring, however, they may try to charge you for the visit, but probably will not.

0 Likes