Why am i renting boxes to utilize the service
jtj1964

I know this is how things are, but why do i need to rent boxes for my TV if i am already paying for the service. I don't rent the motor in the car that i bought. is there a way to use the service without renting boxes? or should i go back to the 60's and place an antenna on my roof and recieve the signal free? or just purchase an internet service and watch everything online? STOP RIPPING EVERYONE OFF!!!!!

0 Likes
Re: Why am i renting boxes to utilize the service
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

You require a box because you are not necessarily paying for all the programming that is available (there are 3 tiers, the prmium channels, foreign language channel by subscription only, etc.).  The only way to control what you can view is by encrypting the channels and then authorizing the correct line-up by setting the box to decode only what you pay for.  Also, almost all the "cable" companies have gone to digital only transmission to maximize the number of channels they can carry in the frequency spectrum allowed (8 to 10 SD channels in place of 1 analog channel per frequency and 2 to 3 HD channels in the same space [Verizon uses mostly 2 per, Comcast and others re-compress and put 3 per]).

If all you want are the broadcast channels and if you have a TV with a QAM tuner ("newer" digital TV set - check your manual) then you can pay for only "basic" (used to be $12.99 / month - don't know the current charge) and use the TV tuner as the local broadcast channels are not encrypted.  This would be the same as using an antenna.

Re: Why am I renting boxes to utilize the service
Trysche

Wait, I am confused, and don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am getting FIOS installed today, as in NOW, they sent out one box that gets all the channels and menu and on demand, etc, and another that just get channels, then advised me that the standard digital converters that I got years ago when this mess started, would work for any TV that I don't want on demand or the menu on, like kids. From what I am reading it seems like this isn't the case? Or is this another thing like VZ's you can't keep Copper phone if you get FIOS Internet or TV? (which by the way it not true in MD, per the PSC, You can keep copper but add FIOS for TV and Internet only.)

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Trysche wrote:

Wait, I am confused, and don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am getting FIOS installed today, as in NOW, they sent out one box that gets all the channels and menu and on demand, etc, and another that just get channels, then advised me that the standard digital converters that I got years ago when this mess started, would work for any TV that I don't want on demand or the menu on, like kids. From what I am reading it seems like this isn't the case? Or is this another thing like VZ's you can't keep Copper phone if you get FIOS Internet or TV? (which by the way it not true in MD, per the PSC, You can keep copper but add FIOS for TV and Internet only.)

If that is what someone told you, they were flat wrong! Hopefully you just misunderstood them.

The old digital converters that were sold in retail stores some years ago (and still are I think) are only for receiving digital TV signals over-the-air, and are for use with very, very old TVs that will not receive digital over-the-air TV. They will not work with any cable TV system, or with FiOS - period! Of course if you want to continue using the old converters with an antenna, you can do so for any TVs you don't want to connect to FiOS TV.

Verizon does offer a "digital adapter", the DCT-700, for use with FiOS. It will receive only the SD channels (all you are subscribed to), and has no Guide, no Widgets, no VOD. There is a monthly fee.

If the TV you want to connect has a QAM tuner (check the owners manual, relatively new TVs only), then you can hook that TV directly to the FiOS coax and receive the local channels only.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

I Have no clue what "mess" you are referring to from years ago....

Keller, TX 76248

prisaz
Legend

Please note Parental Controls and other details, not to hijack the responses. But Keyboards was right on the money about why we must rent the STB hardware

The DCT-700 will not provide the same level of parental controls as the other Verizon SD and HD STBs. They do have a parental control feature that is based on the guide technology provided with QAM. Verizon does not use that technology for for the guide or parental controls, but uses the program guide data provided over IP, which is not available on the DCT-700. (Internet Protocol) The DCT-700 will provide all SD channels that you subscribe to, and does not provide much for parental control. If you want to use the DCT-700 in a kids room, the only option is to lock out individual channels, which may not provide 100% protection..

My experience. I switched my daughters box from the low cost DCT-700 to the QIP-2500 for only a few dollars more. That was before I upgraded all to the Multi Room DVR and HD STBs. I know the QIP-2500 SD box is no longer delivered or provided to existing customers, but they may provide the QIP-2500 to new customers at installation only. I am not sure if the QIP-2500 option is still available for new installs. They may have stopped the practice of providing the QIP-2500 to new customers

The standard digital converters (ATSC) are mostly based on broadcast technology when it switch from Analog to Digital.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC

The DCT-700 are Digital Cable Adaptors(QAM). Both are 100% different, just as Justin stated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAM_%28television%29

If you received the channel only DCT-700 Digital Cable Adaptors, from Verizon, they will work. But you will not receive a channel guide (img), or access to the advanced features, such as VOD, Widgets, and advanced parental controls. It may be that the tech was wrong, or used poor terminology.

I hope this additional information in regards to parental controls, and the technology differences between digital converters (ATSC) and Digital Cable Adaptors(QAM) is helpful. I know since the switch to digital, it has confused many people.

0 Likes