Why can't I have FIOS TV?
xsrender

I live somewhere where Verizon TV is technically available (according to customer service and the local tech guru), but Verizon will not sell me the TV service.  Apparently this initially started as the Cable company having an exclusivity contract, however this is now illegal based on laws recently pass.  For some reason, Verizon still won't sell me the service.  I really want to have this service because it is FAR better than the competition.  Can someone help me in understanding why?

0 Likes
Re: Why can't I have FIOS TV?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You likely need to speak with your local taxing authority (township, city, etc.).   These local government organizations control what are known as the "franchise" rights which allows utilities to provide their services to residents in their districts.   Frankly, it's a form of legalized "extortion", but essentially before a company can provide TV services (or phone, or Internet) they have to negotiate a fee they pay to that local government entity for the rights to do so (you may see this appear on your bill as a "franchise fee").

0 Likes