Why does netflix look better than fios?
Mendes9
Contributor - Level 1
Hello i have fios quantum service, and upgraded from a 51" to a 70" tv. My set top box is set to 1080p and of-course with a larger screen and 4k led panel the quality of the signal is more visible as it jas to be up converted to 4k. While i wont say the picture is bad, its good, but netflix is noticeably better with hd movies, blurays are incrdible with this 4k tv. To me clearly the issue is the channel signal compression. I thought with fiber optic verizon didnt have the same bandwith constraints that cable or satellite providers?
0 Likes
Re: Why does netflix look better than fios?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

They still have the same contraints as to how they distribute the content within your home.

They use QAM which has limitations.

I assume you have Quantum hardware.

And I assume you are conencted via HDMI.

Some of it is the content providers and how they provide data to cable systems.

0 Likes
Mendes9
Contributor - Level 1

Yes thats what I figured..  you can tell they put a little more bandwidth to NFL games for example.  Thanks for the reply.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its not only that.

Broadcast channels are typically delviered via landline to providers. So bandwidth is not as much of an issue.

But most cable channels are via satellite where it pays to skimp on bandwidth to cut costs.

0 Likes
Ivanovich1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well this isn't really solved now is it?  The way I read it is, "sorry our picture looks terrible, but it's someone elses fault."

From the consumer perspective it doesn't change the simple fact that the picture is soft and looks well below the PQ the 1080p format is capable of providing.  Verizon has no issue with charging me $200/mo for service, so how about working with content providers to deliver some value to the paying customers?

I rented Jurrasic World On Demand thinking it would be a good action adventure to enjoy on my HT system, the picture and sound were absolutely horrible.  Picture was soft, sound was completely compressed and lifeless sounding. I am curious about what the excuse is for poor quality On Demand programming.

Verizon is really blowing it with On Demand.  $5.50 is not bad for the convienience of clicking a couple of buttons to sit and watch a movie in the comfort of your living room, unless you care at all about picture and sound. I'd prefer to wait the extra months for Netflix or go down the road to the Red Box for the Blu Ray Disc.

No more FiOS On Demand - total garbage!  Save your money and rent the disc or stream it through a service that actually provides a decent picture and sound.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I haven't found that to be the case with VOD, but I have an older LED HDTV.

How can you blame Verizon if they get poor content for linear channels.

If you say I had a great picutre on channel X when I was with provider Y and when I went to Verizon it looks terrible, then you have a complaint.

As for price, it is up to consumers to decide. Do I want it now? Suppose my local Redbox doesn't have it? And I am finding more and more movies are not on NetFlix to watch.

Vote with your wallet.

0 Likes
Ivanovich1
Enthusiast - Level 2
OK, I will. DirecTV looks much better, both for regular programming and VOD. Unfortunately, reliability isn't as good due to fading in poor weather. They all jack up prices after first year or two-year contract so I have no choice but to bounce back and forth between the two. Comcast/Xfinity is the worst, so not an option at all.

I do vote with my wallet, which is why I said keep the VOD, I'll use Red Box or Netflix. There are like 5-6 Red Box kiosks within 3 miles of me so availability is never an issue. 🙂

I also don't understand how Netflix stock is soaring myself. They have ancient films, new releases take forever and are limited, and the original content is a limited amount. Other than House of Cards and ability to watch past seasons of some great shows, it's barely worth the subscription price.

It's too bad about PQ because with the bandwidth available, in general, it doesn't have to be this way. 4K TVs can look great and the content has the resolution, so it's the providers who are ruining it. They should be responsible for the content they get and sell and not pass the buck. A prime contractor is always responsible for the performance of their subs, they are the ones collecting the money, so the excuse is just that, an excuse. They need to work it out to not accept crappy source material to sell as their own.
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the content providers only have one data stream, it becomes take it or leave it.

And Verizon clearly does not have the weight to set rules with providers.

Pretty sure that content providers would love to have very high bandwidth video streams.

But the cable providers couldn't support the number of channels they do with the technology today.

Netflix has much less restrictions as they let the users pay for the bandwidth on their end.

If you bog down, you have to pay to increase your bandwidth.
Doesn't cost Netflix a penny.

0 Likes
IrishPete
Enthusiast - Level 1

@Ivanovich I want to second this opinion. I started watching Dr. Strange on On Demand because it’s free this week. The picture and sound were so awful that I checked Netflix and found it was available there. So, I switched over and it looks and sounds great. I don’t know why Verizon even charges at all for their On Demand stuff. It is garbage. 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes