Why limited to one Home Media DVR?
fiosrat
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,  I was just wondering why there is a limit of only being able to get (1) one HM-DVR per household?

I just called Verizon because I wanted to order (2) HM-DVR's, (1) one M-Card, and (1) HD receiver.  But the CSR said I could only get (1) HM-DVR.  I asked why and she said they only allow one per household.  I asked why that was, and she just said it was the policy.  I started to ask if there was some way to get two, but then I decided to just let it drop as I plan to build a whole house HTPC setup when the Ceton cards come out at the end of May.  But I am curious as to why only one per house?

I currently use Tivos and frequently record shows in the bedroom and watch them in the family room and vice-versa.  As I said, since I'm planning a whole house HTPC type setup, but won't be able to do such until sometime in June, I decided now would be a good time to at least try out the Verizon offerings.  But not being able to get more than one HM-DVR, pretty much sealed the fate of the Verizon equipment being a temporary solution to my needs.  Just curious.  And despite goofy things like this, I love FiOS!  

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Why limited to one Home Media DVR?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

The sales person just doesnt know the technical details and said it is "policy" because that is what she is told.

The reason is because of software limitations. The current Verizon software will only recognize one MR DVR. So if you get two, only one will work in the multi room capacity and you would be paying for a second that would not work, hence the limitation of only 1.

When it started it only worked with SD pic, now it works with HD as well. Eventually it will probably work with other DVR's as well so this may be a feature for the future, but right now its limited to only one MR DVR per house.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

spacedebris speaks wisely on this issue.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Rawr ❤️ 

nice choice on the ceton cards btw.   

I'll be in my bunk ..

0 Likes
fiosrat
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for explanation Spacedebris.  I kinda wondered if something like that was the case.  It would be interesting if they did start working with Tivos or Moxi boxes.  Thanks again.

0 Likes