Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same day delivery.

Why no hourglass?

snuckleton
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Why no hourglass?

Message 1 of 7
(6,042 Views)

I'm puzzled by the some of the choices made in the design of the User Interface on the DVR.  For example, when I initiate an operation that may take some time to execute, why don't I see an hourglass or some other acknowledgement that the DVR is working on it.  Given that the DVR is already unreliable about receiving button presses, it's tough to tell when I press record whether it is working on it, or just missed the button press.

I'd like to sit down with the UI designer and have him explain some of the behavior of the DVR... Smiley Happy  The DVR has enough problems without some of these easy-to-fix issues.

6 REPLIES 6
SQUIDWARD360
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Re: Why no hourglass?

Message 2 of 7
(6,011 Views)
I realize the box is slow but nothing takes long enough to require an hourglass to confirm it is working.  Even the longest action takes about 3 seconds.
nascar
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Message 3 of 7
(6,003 Views)

Coming from TiVo, I agree with you. 

Many times the DVR responds immediately to button presses but there are those times that a "TiVO like" acknowledgement  would help.

@snuckleton wrote:

I'm puzzled by the some of the choices made in the design of the User Interface on the DVR.  For example, when I initiate an operation that may take some time to execute, why don't I see an hourglass or some other acknowledgement that the DVR is working on it.  Given that the DVR is already unreliable about receiving button presses, it's tough to tell when I press record whether it is working on it, or just missed the button press.

I'd like to sit down with the UI designer and have him explain some of the behavior of the DVR... Smiley Happy  The DVR has enough problems without some of these easy-to-fix issues.

Joe01880
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 4 of 7
(5,959 Views)
TiVo's are compatible with FiOS by use of an M card from FiOS for $3.99 a month. If you want a Tivo experience you will need a TiVo.
Message Edited by Joe01880 on 03-17-2009 05:51 PM
Joe was here
snuckleton
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 5 of 7
(5,953 Views)

Regarding the 3 second response time - many of the operations I do seem to run 10 seconds or so.  The worst delays are adding a scheduled recording.  I HAVE seen an hourglass like graphic, but only once or twice and it is unpredictable as to when it will appear.

Since the DVR can miss button presses, my strategy to figure out if it is working on an operation is to try a "harmless" button press like moving the cursor up or down.  If it doesn't move, it is probably busy.  If it does move, my original button press was missed.

DzWR
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 6 of 7
(5,926 Views)

10 seconds is way too long and I don't recall having had a wait such as that.  That reminds me of Cox cable's VOD menu Smiley Mad

snuckleton
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 7 of 7
(5,908 Views)
Yes, 10 seconds is a long time but it would be ok if there was some visual or audible feedback to let me know it is working on the operation.  This is a very basic user interface principle.
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.