Why no hourglass?
snuckleton
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm puzzled by the some of the choices made in the design of the User Interface on the DVR.  For example, when I initiate an operation that may take some time to execute, why don't I see an hourglass or some other acknowledgement that the DVR is working on it.  Given that the DVR is already unreliable about receiving button presses, it's tough to tell when I press record whether it is working on it, or just missed the button press.

I'd like to sit down with the UI designer and have him explain some of the behavior of the DVR... Smiley Happy  The DVR has enough problems without some of these easy-to-fix issues.

Re: Why no hourglass?
SQUIDWARD360
Enthusiast - Level 2
I realize the box is slow but nothing takes long enough to require an hourglass to confirm it is working.  Even the longest action takes about 3 seconds.
0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

Coming from TiVo, I agree with you. 

Many times the DVR responds immediately to button presses but there are those times that a "TiVO like" acknowledgement  would help.

@snuckleton wrote:

I'm puzzled by the some of the choices made in the design of the User Interface on the DVR.  For example, when I initiate an operation that may take some time to execute, why don't I see an hourglass or some other acknowledgement that the DVR is working on it.  Given that the DVR is already unreliable about receiving button presses, it's tough to tell when I press record whether it is working on it, or just missed the button press.

I'd like to sit down with the UI designer and have him explain some of the behavior of the DVR... Smiley Happy  The DVR has enough problems without some of these easy-to-fix issues.

0 Likes
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1
TiVo's are compatible with FiOS by use of an M card from FiOS for $3.99 a month. If you want a Tivo experience you will need a TiVo.
Message Edited by Joe01880 on 03-17-2009 05:51 PM
0 Likes
snuckleton
Enthusiast - Level 3

Regarding the 3 second response time - many of the operations I do seem to run 10 seconds or so.  The worst delays are adding a scheduled recording.  I HAVE seen an hourglass like graphic, but only once or twice and it is unpredictable as to when it will appear.

Since the DVR can miss button presses, my strategy to figure out if it is working on an operation is to try a "harmless" button press like moving the cursor up or down.  If it doesn't move, it is probably busy.  If it does move, my original button press was missed.

DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

10 seconds is way too long and I don't recall having had a wait such as that.  That reminds me of Cox cable's VOD menu Smiley Mad

0 Likes
snuckleton
Enthusiast - Level 3
Yes, 10 seconds is a long time but it would be ok if there was some visual or audible feedback to let me know it is working on the operation.  This is a very basic user interface principle.