Will non-RG6 cable cause poor picture quality with FIOS HD?
MagicJazz

I've been a TimeWarner customer for many years now with an HD setup on my 46" 1080P Samsung tv.  Immediately after I got FIOS installed, Verizon FIOS's HD and SD picture quality was worse.  I mean, i can see a bit more boxy artifacts, its much more noiser and grainier.  The colors are fine , but I think the signal and image quality is poorer.

here's what the technician did.  he installed the ONT and then put in a 2-way splitter for the coax.  One goes to the TV and one goes to the router.  He used the existing cable run from TimeWarner and disconnected my cable.  So he doesn't have to run cable through the house.  I am not sure whether or not this cable that already exists in my house is RG6 or something else.   But it is the same cable that Time Warner used and the picture quality was great.  Very, very sharp. 

I was wondering if not having RG6 cable will affect the picture quality like this?  Or cause it to be much more noisier and grainier.  I also notice that on extremely fast-moving images, it tends to get pixelated as well.

I know for a fact I am not seeing things.  my girlfriend notices it too.  What can Verizon do about this? 

I have had FIOS for a week now to observe all channels.  My favorite shows and news channels like FOX, NBC, all are suffering from poorer/noisier image quality.

0 Likes
Re: Will non-RG6 cable cause poor picture quality with FIOS HD?
prisaz
Legend

Old RG59 does lack the shielding, and I have heard that if it is not to old it may be ok. But the best is RG6 Quad shield. It depends on line loss and interference. I do know they will not rewire you whole house for free. Even with most cable providers that offer internet say RG6. Old RG59 cable could be nothing but trouble. When they first started FiOS they said RG6 only. But not sure now.

"

After the installation, your technician will demo all of your new services, explain how they work, and answer all of your questions.Installation is totally free for the first three TVs, with existing coaxial cables – those wires you typically see jutting out from the wall that connect to your TV.

"

I would double check all your connectors and make sure your do not have any shield problems on the connectors. Sloose or shorted braids.

Also if any of the cable runs outside with connection exposed, you could have issues.

Make sure there are not any unused cables connected to an old splitter somewhere. Could be something in a wall or attic. make sure you do not have any old splitters anywhere.

0 Likes
djpiccirillo

My exerience with the cable wire requires all wire to be rg6 Shielded, with HD connectors.  You can buy the cable yourself at Lowes or Home Depot.  You can buy the connector kit with gold connectors. Re-wire your house from the port of entry to the splitter (i have 1 to 4 split).  The splitter must be HD compliant, i had non-hd splitters which caused cubing.  The best solution, if you can is to split one to many as many connections you will need, then run the cables to every room with no breaks or connectors.  This is called homerunning the cable connection.  Every connector and splitter will degrade your internet and picture on your TV's. 

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@MagicJazz wrote:

I've been a TimeWarner customer for many years now with an HD setup on my 46" 1080P Samsung tv.  Immediately after I got FIOS installed, Verizon FIOS's HD and SD picture quality was worse.  I mean, i can see a bit more boxy artifacts, its much more noiser and grainier.  The colors are fine , but I think the signal and image quality is poorer.

here's what the technician did.  he installed the ONT and then put in a 2-way splitter for the coax.  One goes to the TV and one goes to the router.  He used the existing cable run from TimeWarner and disconnected my cable.  So he doesn't have to run cable through the house.  I am not sure whether or not this cable that already exists in my house is RG6 or something else.   But it is the same cable that Time Warner used and the picture quality was great.  Very, very sharp. 

I was wondering if not having RG6 cable will affect the picture quality like this?  Or cause it to be much more noisier and grainier.  I also notice that on extremely fast-moving images, it tends to get pixelated as well.

I know for a fact I am not seeing things.  my girlfriend notices it too.  What can Verizon do about this? 

I have had FIOS for a week now to observe all channels.  My favorite shows and news channels like FOX, NBC, all are suffering from poorer/noisier image quality.

FiOS provides much higher data rates for their HD feeds, and it is possible that your TV is showing artifacts and noise because the TV's image enhancing processing functions are being taxed.  You might want to try turning off all image enhancement functions for the TV and see if that improves your picture quality.  (These functions are meant to mask problems with low bit rates and correct for motion artifacts and noise.)  It has worked for others, including myself.  With the processing turned off,  picture artifacts and noise were greatly reduced.  HDNet Movies is a good choice for testing because their bit rate is extremely high.

0 Likes