Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you switch and bring your phone.

Wiring for new home

JK
Contributor
Contributor

Wiring for new home

Message 1 of 4
(5,335 Views)
I am building a new home and the builder's standard prewire is Cat 5, RG6. The local audio/video shop tells me that is a mistake and I should use a Dual CAT5 and a "Liberty" bundle to be ready for HDMI. They are telling me to wire every TV location this way and home run to the basement. They claim I can then put all of my DVRs there and won't need them to be located with the TVs. Does this make sense to do? Thanks in advance for your help.
3 REPLIES 3
Telcoguru
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Re: Wiring for new home

Message 2 of 4
(5,323 Views)
It makes sense if you can afford it and all your tvs are wall mounted big screens.
peecee
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 4
(5,262 Views)
Just be aware that HDMI cabling should only be 20 feet or so at the standard 28awg.  For home run future-proofing, I'd spec out at least a 20awg HDMI cable, or request some sort of conduit to the box so you can run better cables when the technology demands it.
CapnTrips
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 4 of 4
(5,238 Views)
Also, CAT 5 is rapidly becoming obsolete.  CAT 5e or better yet CAT 6 is the new de facto standard.
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title