Wiring of router, STB -- I'm missing something
clueless

I have my install scheduled for next week!  I'm trying to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible.

I currently have DirecTV.  This hookup includes 2 RG-6 lines from the basement up to the TV.  Since the basement end of these lines is near where the telephone service enters the house, I'm hoping I can just locate the ONT at or near the phone block and then use the existing coax.

But I'm confused about the role of the router and the set-top boxes.  I understand (I think) that the router is needed for the STB as well as for the Internet service.  But how does the router connect to the STB--there is only one coax jack on it, for the incoming line from the ONT, right?

0 Likes
Re: Wiring of router, STB -- I'm missing something
Brennoko
Contributor - Level 1
The router is connected to the stbs through the coax connection on the router. It does not matter whether or not the internet connection is coming to the router from ethernet or coax, as long as the router is connected by coax to the same splitter the stbs are connected to they will get the internet connection.
0 Likes
clueless
So, ONT -> Splitter, then one cable to the router & one to the STB?  I had gotten the impression the STB needed to be connected directly into the router.  Thanks for clearing it up for me!
0 Likes
MagicMan
Contributor - Level 1

correct. ONT -> splitter -> STB(s) & router.  

the coax acts like ethernet cables do in the pc lan world so that all boxes can get their data for the guide.

0 Likes