YouTube Widget on FIOSTV unusable
peterjb

Maybe there's something I'm missing but Youtube on FIOS TV seems to be unusable by design, at least if you have a slowish PC or in-house network is slowish (e.g. wireless).

I get to the Youtube widget on my FIOS TV, get the lists of videos from YouTube, choose one and select. However, it is unviewable because it stops and starts.. (The feed is too slow for real-time video via my wireless network and laptop I assume and there is no buffer.)

OK. No problem I think, this often happens on PCs too - Just pause the video, wait for the feed to download some more of the video, then play and it will be able to keep up..

Well, nope - As soon as you pause, the widget stops downloading so it never gets a buffer loaded!

OK, Well surely you can just restart the video (under "options") and, since many seconds are already loaded, you have a buffer and it will work right? Nope! The "Restart" option thows away what you have and starts reloading from the beginning again while trying still to play in real time!

OK, Well then exit to list and re-enter. Maybe it will keep the buffer then? - Nope! Reloads from the start forgetting everything it loaded previously...

Well - My conclusion is "YouTube Widget on FIOSTV is unusable"

What did I miss??

(or do I need to use a fast desktop and wire it direct with cat5 cable to the router which would be a real pain!)

Thanks for any help..

0 Likes
Re: YouTube Widget on FIOSTV unusable
philpags

Same thing here.   I agree its  UNUSABLE.      Im not able to watch a single video,  I tried  wireless or direct ethernet connection,  same results.   Question to verizon:  why do they even bother releasing this.  

0 Likes
pdjplano

seems to not work here either, installed media manager and the youtube videos come up, but are so choppy and with such pixelation that they are worthless...  has anyone found a solution?

0 Likes
Masn2-HD

I got it to work on the first day but it has not played a video since.

0 Likes
Gus_Gutz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have media manager running on a wireless computer and I am able to see video and audio with out any skips or drop outs. Of course the video plays in a small window and you have to click another button to get it to go full screen. The programming is a kludge. Playing one video after another causes the screen to flicker a few times and drop out a few times. 

Verizon should only put this out a beta software. That way if it works for you.... great and if not OH well it is beta... People expect this to work. I have a blue ray player that will play YouTube videos and transition between vids with none of these problems. Verizon needs to down to the local high school and get some real programmers that understand what people really want.

0 Likes
mckzach
Enthusiast - Level 1

Not only is it unusable, whenever I attempt to launch YouTube on my DVR, it powers down the box completely.  A complete shut down!

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Just a friendly reminder, this is a forum where users help other users. It looks like your issue may require a Verizon representative to review your issue.. Please contact our customer service team via live chat or email at:
http://www.verizon.com/contactus

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over seven years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes