Re: anyone else having problems with volume output?
blondie17
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I'm glad to see (sort of) that I'm not the only one or imagining this.  Here's an update since my original post:

I called Tech Support twice, they initialized the box from their end, my end, and after several hours finally said they'd send me a new box (got it Friday and may try to switch it--keep reading); they said if it didn't change anything it might be a television problem  (NOT!).  Here's the kicker:  we only notice it on the 7216 STB, the dynamic range WORKS on our two 2500 STBs!!!  Now the  replacement STB they sent is a 6416 STB.  Has anybody else had an issue with the 6416, or does it seem to be only with the 7216?

Thanks for any replies. 

0 Likes
Low volume since recent upgrade (rel 1.7.1)
obie

I have read in recent forums that some people are having very low volume issues.  I am having a similar problem and believe it is a direct result of the recent upgrade (Rel. 1.7.1).   I have two sets with HD STB's.  One uses the HDMI hookup and the other RCA.  My audio settings are set to FIXED, and Dynamic Range setting to Heavy on both TV's because I prefer to use the volume control on the TV set.  I have tried to change the audio settings with no sign that the settings changes are taking affect.  Changing from FIXED TO VARIABLE  does not make a difference.  Changing from HEAVY to LIGHT to NONE also has no affect.  I too have called FIOS and they do not seem to know what is going on or do and do not want to admit to any problems at this time.  I live in Central New Jersey and upgrade occured about a week ago.

0 Likes
kevint007

Hey guys, I have been experiencing the same problems. I have the 7216 box, with the hdmi out going to my receiver (harmon kardon avr-254) and then an hdmi out going towards my tv (pioneer pdp-5070). The volume is very low, I would have to turn it up much louder than any other devices that I use with my receiver, ie, playstation 3. I noticed something very strange, whenever I press the "red fios tv button" the volume automatically goes to where it suppose to be at. Very dynamic and not low at all. I read somewhere on the web or actualy a post on this forum, that it enables linear pcm, when you do that. When I dont press that button,and  go within the menu, and adjust dynamic range to none or heavy, I do not see a change what so ever. But if the button is pressed prior to me entering the menu and the volume is where it should be, once I adjust dynamic range you can clearly see a difference. For some reason when you change the channel it reverts back to the low volume setting, I would have to hit the red fios button every time once I change the channel.  I hope they have a patch for this, I love fios tv and the box, its just this gripe that I have it extremely frustrating, to say the least.

0 Likes
blondie17
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good thought--I tried hitting the Red FiOS button several times at various junctures, but still no change.  I'm wondering if I should go through the bother of trying the replacement (6416) STB  Verizon sent out, or if I'll still have the same issue as I have now with my 7216.  ANYONE out there have this problem with a 6416 STB???

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

After doing some additional digging, I found that the problem is 98% -100% caused by the img update, The 6416 should not be affected,  basically the audio isn't giving the +10db audio boost on the heavy setting that it was wih previous releases of software,  it is only on the 7xxx series boxes and some 2500's from what I have heard. so a 6416 should be fine.  

0 Likes
kevint007

Hey guys, I posted yesterday that i was able to get the proper audio output when I hit the red fios button. Now, just a day later, that event does not happen anymore. I did see that I received a guide update, but no mention regarding audio. I find it weird it worked yesterday then all of a sudden, it doesnt.  Any word as to when they might fix this, or come out with another update, because this is getting very tedious. Thanks, hope to get some responses.

0 Likes
blondie17
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

After doing some additional digging, I found that the problem is 98% -100% caused by the img update, The 6416 should not be affected,  basically the audio isn't giving the +10db audio boost on the heavy setting that it was wih previous releases of software,  it is only on the 7xxx series boxes and some 2500's from what I have heard. so a 6416 should be fine.  

Do you mean that the 6416 won't have the option of Dynamic Range, or that it should still work with that STB?  I don't want to go through the hassle of switching out STBs if it isn't even a menu option on the 6416.  THANKS!

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1

He meant it's not a problem with the 6416. Yes, it's in the menu and works fine.

0 Likes
Audio Issues after 1.7.1
jtroop

Hi,

So I have read about the low audio issues on the 72xx models following the recent upgrade.  Man, I have to turn the volume to about 40+ on the TV just to hear when 20-25 worked fine for 10 years on this set.

Anyway, I have new(<6mos) Vizio HD with the the 62xx box. Surprisingly enough, I have had only HDMI hook up to this since October 2009 when I got FIOS.  No issues at all.  Now, audio completely drops on HD channels. Not all, some. Can't really pinpoint when except it is the typical channels I watch which is annoying. Sometimes you flip and return and then audio is back. But this isn't every time.  Unplug HDMI and plug back in and you get volume. But it will drop again.

I could care less if I use HDMI or composite w.audio cables but I need to buy some which is frustrating. And I do not know if that will cure the problem or not.

Thanks

Bob

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I just spoke to my buddy at Verizon and he says that he just got a note from the higher up's regarding this issue.

It is now an "official" known issue with the new IMG release.

The following boxes are affected.

QIP2500  (only affects the composite cables, not the coax)

QIP6200  (HDMI, composite, and component affected)

QIP6416  (HDMI, composite, and component affected)

QIP7100  (HDMI, composite, and component affected)

QIP7216  (HDMI, composite, and component affected)

****One thing to note he says, it doesnt affect every box but they have confirmed that it is not a problem with the boxes themselves. They dont know why some have issues and others do not.

He says they currently have no ETR on a resolution and there is currently no work around. They are still investigating the cause.

0 Likes