are verizon tech visits free?
davelanger
Enthusiast - Level 3

are verizon tech visits free, or is there a fee?

I want to see if they can switch out a coax wire from the STB to the splitter in the basement to fix the macroblocking I get.

I just want to know if they charge for tihs before I call them up

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: are Verizon tech visits free?
UnnDunn
Contributor - Level 3

@davelanger wrote:

Ok so just to check the wiring and maybe clip the end of the coax and add a new one, that is free?

My picture does not look that great and I get a lot of macroblocking during fast moving scenes.

Typically, some level of macroblocking should be expected during fast-moving scenes on FiOS channels. The channels are simply not broadcast at a high-enough bitrate to eliminate macroblocking completely. There is nothing Verizon can do about it; that's the way they come from the broadcaster.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

There are no charges for TV wiring problems. If you need a new TV jack installed that's a different story.

0 Likes
davelanger
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok so just to check the wiring and maybe clip the end of the coax and add a new one, that is free?

My picture does not look that great and I get a lot of macroblocking during fast moving scenes.

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

If it was a wiring problem it would happen more than just "fast moving scenes" . This would be the decoding from your television. Most likely a 60 refresh rate. Higher refresh rates for TV sets like 120 and 240 perform better with those fast moving scenes. You can reduce the boxes signal from 1080 to 720 to alleviate that as well, but nothing we could fix in wiring. If the picture is getting tiling and breaking up into squares at random times and losing sound, that could be fixed by looking at the wiring.

0 Likes
davelanger
Enthusiast - Level 3

So its probably just the TV if I am getting microblocking on fast moving scenes even though I do not get that on blurays?

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

You are talking about different video formats. Blue rays use progressive scan (1080p) whereas your Verizon box uses interlaced (1080i). See if you can use your blueray on a lower setting or test with something else using 1080i signal.

0 Likes
UnnDunn
Contributor - Level 3

@davelanger wrote:

Typically, some level of macroblocking should be expected during fast-moving scenes on FiOS channels. The channels are simply not broadcast at a high-enough bitrate to eliminate macroblocking completely. There is nothing Verizon can do about it; that's the way they come from the broadcaster.

0 Likes
davelanger
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did change my tv from 16x9 to just scam and it seemed to help a bit I dont see it as much as I was before.

So that may be the best fix I can do

0 Likes