Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

basic s-video cable question

SOLVED
avemaria92
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

basic s-video cable question

Message 1 of 6
(6,538 Views)

hello,

I'm new to using a dvd recorder and am trying to hook it up.   My tv does not have an s-video port but the dvd player and cable box do.  I have the regular audio/video cables hooking the dvd player to the tv.. those work fine.  When i use those same cables to record with the dvd player, from box to dvd player they work fine also.  I figured since it was there i would get an s-video cable and use that.  So i have basic red and white audio cables hooking the cable box to the dvd recorder and it records audio ok.. but the s-video cable i just connected the cable box to the dvd player either doesn't work or i'm missing something because there is no video going to the player.

Basically am I missing something in getting the cable box to product video through my new s-video cable?  

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
avemaria92
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Re: basic s-video cable question

Message 6 of 6
(6,362 Views)
i feel dumb knowing it was such an easy fix but that's what it was.. you have to change the setting on the dvd player telling it that you're using s-video input.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Keyboards
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 2 of 6
(6,538 Views)
All the outputs on the box are active at the same time.  Did you set your recorder for the proper input (line, video 1, or whatever is appropriate)?
If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
avemaria92
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 3 of 6
(6,516 Views)

hello,

i was recording and playing fine with just regular audio video cables.. i haven't touched any settings.  Now with red and white audio and an s-video cable connecting the box to the player I can record audio, i'm just not getting a picture.  This wasn't a cheap s-video cable either.. it's also plugged in as far as it will go.

KenAF
Silver Contributor IV
Silver Contributor IV

Message 4 of 6
(6,506 Views)

You should not have paid more than $5 for a s-video cable.  Next time, order from Monoprice.com.

The Motorola box always outputs through s-video, so if you aren't getting a picture, then you need to check two things.  First, make sure the s-video is connected to a s-video input on the DVD recorder, not a s-video output.  Second, you may need to change a setting on the DVD recorder to use the s-video input rather than composite (yellow RCA) input.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
jmcohen23
Silver Contributor II
Silver Contributor II

Message 5 of 6
(6,453 Views)
I concur with keyboards.  check the input setting on the DVD recorder.  you might need to slip around to input 1 or input 2 rather than RF in order to view the picture.
You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there. --Yogi Berra
avemaria92
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 6 of 6
(6,363 Views)
i feel dumb knowing it was such an easy fix but that's what it was.. you have to change the setting on the dvd player telling it that you're using s-video input.

View solution in original post

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title