cablecards and service
ehagberg
Enthusiast - Level 1

Two questions...

1. If I already have FIOS service, why can't VZ just send CableCard(s) when requested rather than forcing customers to sit and wait for a tech appointment that...

2. doesn't happen, even though it was scheduled for the 8am-noon slot?!

If they just send them out or allow for pickup, they'd likely (I'd think) just work most of the time (unless cablecards are known to be flakier than other electronics) and save people the time and pain of sitting around waiting for an appointment that might not happen because the tech(s) "run late" and never get around to your installation.

How hard can it be to schedule appointments when you've got a 4-hour window to work with and the job (at least the one I'm having done) is likely a 20-minute pit-stop?

0 Likes
Re: cablecards and service
almahix
Enthusiast - Level 2
They must think we are not smart enough to install them, but the installer who brought mine had less savvy than I did. Besides, Verizon can charge you an arm and a leg if they roll a  truck even though it isn't really necessary.
0 Likes
Metro
The installation of the cablecard is not complicated.  However, the device (tivo, tv) and the cable card serial numbers need to be bonded in the verizon system before they will work.  I assume that this finding of the correct numbers and entering them into the system is why the tech is there -- not the physical installation of the cablecard itself.
0 Likes
ehagberg
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm sure it's not that hard to read the serial number (or whatever id number) off the cablecard, and it's likely (from what I've read) that the tech is less likely to know how to navigate the Tivo interface (or whatever interface the customer might have) to read off the right numbers from that side of things.

The pairing gets done over the phone, which I think I've got a handle on how to work.

Given the fact that Verizon has now missed 3 appointments (always morning appointments) and never made it at all, even though we sat around all day each day being told that the tech was either just running late and would get there eventually... or they "couldn't reach the tech" somehow... I think I'd be far more likely to have a working setup right now if they'd mailed the cablecard, even UPS ground from the other side of the country.

At least I'd have a shot at getting it working.

Instead, I have a useless piece of equipment and rising level of frustration with apparent incompetence or a badly-implemented backend scheduling system.
0 Likes
TheSanchez
Contributor - Level 2

ehagberg,

Can you PM me your order number if you have it please?

TS

0 Likes
ehagberg
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sent order number in PM.

The order was finally completed today, after three previously-missed appointments.

However, while we were told that they were sending out an Mcard, they came out with an Scard (luckily they had two of them)... I surely hope that I don't get charged more for having two Scards than I'd be getting charged if they'd just installed the requested single Mcard. The Tivo HD allows the use of either a single Mcard or two Scards, which I tried to make clear when getting the order placed.

Of course I wasn't going to send the tech away to try and find an Mcard, after _finally_ getting one to come with a cablecard. Since it was his first cablecard installation I'm a bit skeptical of his assurances that they don't have Mcards to install.
0 Likes
TheSanchez
Contributor - Level 2

I wouldn't be able to tell you the pricing unfortunatly(i am in tech services).  I can tell you that you probably go the two cable cards because M cards are only available in a few areas at this time to test their viability in general deployment on FiOS.  Glad to hear your order got completed.

TS

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

ehagberg,

I am (almost) willing to bet most any amount of money (but that is probably not allowed here anyway) that you will be charged for both cards. Numerous posts on other forums have confirmed that Verizon charges for each S card. Of course you can always call and beg, but l imagine that will fall on deaf ears. I really think, if you want to use both tuners, you are going to have to pay for the two cards until Verizon makes the M card available in your area - and apparently they are not available in very many places.

Hope I am wrong...

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.6.0, Build 06.89
Keller, TX

0 Likes
ehagberg
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm in New Jersey (Essex county) and when all the failures to arrive for appointments were happening, we had one call from a supervisor who said that they'd gotten an Mcard for our install and that that was what we were supposed to get.

Of course, if they had it on the truck the day he spoke to us, that wasn't the day we finally got someone to actually come out and install the card, so it's likely still sitting on another truck.

So is NJ supposed to be getting (or already getting) Mcards?

0 Likes
TheSanchez
Contributor - Level 2

Right now DC, DE, and parts of VA are the closest places to you with Mcards in full deployment(chances are that supervisor got one for a DE tech).  It will be at least another month, possibly to the end of the year, before we know when they will be out on general availability status. 

TS

0 Likes