changing ip?
wonderd

I use to be able to change my ip by logging into my router and going to the coax settings and releasing my ip then turning off the router and waiting 20 minutes then turn the router on and I would have a different ip. This method is not working no more and im wondering if something has changed and how I can change my ip again?

0 Likes
Re: changing ip?
angeloalberico

unplug the battery backup leads (under the cover next to the battery block) to the ont and unplug the power cord for 15 or so minutes... reconnect the leads and power cord, then power-cycle your modem

0 Likes
wonderd

unlpug the cord on the battery pack or the modem? Also how do you powercycle a modem?

0 Likes
wonderd

that didnt work : /

0 Likes
wonderd

thank you for trying tho

0 Likes
angeloalberico

all i was describing was to be done for the battery backup unit for the ONT... the "thing" on the inside that plugs into the wall & provides power for the outside box...

0 Likes
angeloalberico

power cycling a modem just means pull the plug wait a few seconds and power back up

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

DHCP holds onto your IP based on the MAC address (hardware address) of your router, and the lease time for the IP. So unpluging the router or anything else probably will not give you a new IP. PPPOE will possibly assign a new  address when connecting and disconnecting. It all depends on how your router connects.

You may need to contact tech support and have them release the IP and hope you get a new IP. You would also have to explain what issues you are having and why you want this done.

0 Likes
wonderd

yes i have did that with the battery backup as well as power cycle the modem but no luck : / What would be a good excuse to want to change my ip?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

it used to be that you could unplug the modem for a couple hours and that was enough. 

I think they went back to four hours on the dhcp lease

0 Likes