connecting the coax cable (from the wall) to my tv instead of box?
shymedq871
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was told this:

Though I though in order for the set top box to work you need the coax plugged into the box?

Chat InformationPlease wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat InformationPlease wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Danice'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

{edited for privacy}

Danice: Hi, thank you for reaching out to Samsung technical support. How may I assist you?

David: Hi the UN40F6400AFXZA tv how do I use the tv function? I have the HDMI cable in the tv to the set top box but when I hit the tv option on source using my remote all I get is "white snow"?

Danice: I would be happy to assist you with the instructions to change the source on the TV.

Danice: What are the devices connected to the TV?

David: no I think you mis understand me.

David: Hi the UN40F6400AFXZA tv how do I use the tv function? I have the HDMI cable in the tv to the set top box but when I hit the tv option on source using my remote all I get is "white snow"?

David: am I talking to a robot or a real person?

Danice: I am sorry for the confusion.

Danice: You are chatting with a Live Person.

Danice: I would be happy to assist you with the information about the TV source on the TV.

David: ok

Danice: The TV source on the TV is nothing but the cable from the wall or antenna connected to the coaxial port on the TV.

Danice: You should connect an antenna or cable from the wall to this port and perform the auto programming through Menu options to get the display.

David: oh the cable from the wall goes to the cable box though?

Danice: No, this port is only for the cable from the wall directly to the coaxial port on the TV.

David: I'm confused cause my cable provider says the cable from the wall goes into the coax on the set top box? So how would the set top box work without the coax plugged in?

Danice: I will clarify that for you.

Danice: The Coaxial port on the TV will work only for the air channels like Antenna or cable from the wall and this is not applicable for the cable by the service provider you are referring to.

David: ok

David: also my other question is UN40F6400AFXZA dose it support Audio Return HDMI?

Danice: I will check that for you.

Danice: Yes, the HDMI 2 is the ARC port on the TV.

David: awesome how do I set it up?

Danice: Yes, follow the instructions mentioned in the link below to use the ARC feature:

Danice: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=469179&modelname=UN4...

Danice: Are you able to access the link?

David: yes thank you

0 Likes
Re: connecting the coax cable (from the wall) to my tv instead of box?
shymedq871
Enthusiast - Level 3

I read on the support page the fios self instal welcome pda and it said that you put the coax from the wall to the tv? dosen't it go to the router also what if you use a spilter?

http://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/adacct/eont_self_install_07_2012.pdf

see page 14

0 Likes
Re: connecting the coax cable (from the wall) to my tv instead of box?
PJL
Master - Level 3

The Verizon signal is delivered via coas to the set-top box which allows you to get all of the channels you subscribe to.  You then hook the STB your TV (recommended via HDMI in your case since you have an HD set with HDMI inputs).  The coax signal must be supplied to both your STB and your router. 

If you plug your coax directly into you TV and do a channel scan, you will only recieve local channels (and a couple of others) because all other channels are encrypted and require an STB (or a cable card with an appropriate device) to decode.

0 Likes