e-Sata Drive content access from other set-top-boxes
eaprice77

I have added a 500G e-Sata drive to my DVR and it works great.  The only problem is that content on that device does not show up on the one (non-DVR) set-top-box that I have.  The content is accessable from both DVR set-tops that I have in the house.

Is there anyway to get the set-top only box to see the content.  It does still find some of the content from the internal drive of the DVR.  I installed it on Nov 16 and the set top can see content up to that date but none of the new stuff.

Thanks for any help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: e-Sata Drive content access from other set-top-boxes
ILikeFIOS
Contributor - Level 1

@benneyb wrote:

Are you guys both signed up for Multi Room DVR?  How can you view content from one DVR box on another? 

I literally just got off the phone with Verizon to consider renewing my 2 yr. contract, and they told me that EXACT scenario would not work under the Multi Room DVR model.

Thanks in advance.

I have multi-room DVR.  I couldn't see one DVR's programs from the other until we got IMG 1.9 and enabled "multi-hub".

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ILikeFIOS
Contributor - Level 1

Thats interesting...  Was it an "approved" external drive?  If so, Verizon should provide technical assistance.  Did you do the usual things, like reboot all your DVRs & STBs?

I built my own external drive + enclosure.  I can access programs from the external drive from all my DVRs and STBs.

What are the specs on the drive?  I read that a 3 Gbps drive is required.

0 Likes
benneyb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Are you guys both signed up for Multi Room DVR?  How can you view content from one DVR box on another? 

I literally just got off the phone with Verizon to consider renewing my 2 yr. contract, and they told me that EXACT scenario would not work under the Multi Room DVR model.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
ILikeFIOS
Contributor - Level 1

@benneyb wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I have multi-room DVR.  I couldn't see one DVR's programs from the other until we got IMG 1.9 and enabled "multi-hub".

0 Likes
benneyb
Enthusiast - Level 2

ILikeFIOS - thanks very much, that seems to clear up the issue.

0 Likes
auapplemact

I also have multi-room service and I just got off the phone with Verizon ( after talking to 5 people who knew nothing or next to nothing about adding hard drive. Was told by the Supervising level CS that you can't view material recorded on the external drive in other rooms. 

I also just asked the same question on this forum - it was before I saw your entry.

This was going to be my Christmas present for me. Oh, well.

0 Likes
ILikeFIOS
Contributor - Level 1

@auapplemact wrote:

I also have multi-room service and I just got off the phone with Verizon ( after talking to 5 people who knew nothing or next to nothing about adding hard drive. Was told by the Supervising level CS that you can't view material recorded on the external drive in other rooms. 

I also just asked the same question on this forum - it was before I saw your entry.

This was going to be my Christmas present for me. Oh, well.

As long as you have 1.9 and multi-hub / multi-room DVR enabled, you should 100% be able to see the external hard drive's recordings on other STBs and DVRs (along with the internal HDD).  I'm doing it right now.

Is this not the case for you?

benneyb
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can confirm this as well.  I did upgrade/renew my service yesterday, then today I added the Multi Room DVR capability as well.

Unfortunately this took about 1 1/4 hours and 5 different people and conversations with FIOS support and billing depts.  You would think they would have a process established to turn on MR DVR for people, as the option to enable via the STB does not work if a DVR is present.

All recordings including those on both my base DVR and connected 2 TB external HD are visible to the other 2 DVRs in the house and vice versa.  I'm now a happy camper.