favorites
jsmith6752
I think we all agree on the crappy channel guide. Another problem I have is my favorite channels. When I hit the favorite button I want to scroll through all my favorites. Comcast I hate to say was pretty nice. Why am I having trouble watching sitcoms with video on demand? Are they not there?
0 Likes
Re: favorites
Techman28
Master - Level 1
A Favorite Channels list is a list of FiOS TV channels you watch the most. Instead of scrolling through your entire channel line-up to look for your most-watched channels, you can create a list of your favorite channels and access the list from your remote control.

A Favorite Channels list also lets you specify which programs you don't want to watch and only view programming that interests you.

To create a Favorite Channels list:
  1. Select the Menu button on your remote.

The Main Menu is displayed on your TV screen.

2. Using the arrow buttons on your remote, highlight Settings and press OK/Select.

Note: Depending on your remote control, you'll need to press either the OK or Select button to make a selection.

3. Highlight Favorite Channels and press OK/Select.

4. Highlight Add/Remove Channels and press OK/Select.

5. Highlight a channel that you want to include in your Favorite Channels list, press OK/Select. Repeat this step for all channels you want to include in your list.

A heart-shaped icon appears next to each channel that you have selected to be in your Favorite Channels list. To de-select a channel, highlight the channel and press OK/Select. The heart-shaped icon disappears indicating that you've deleted it from your
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I think there are a few corrections and additions needed to Techman28's steps:

1) In his Step 3 and Step 4, at least on my IMG and remote, the OK button does not work, I must use the Right Arrow to get to the next level down. 

2) In his Step 4, you can use the Down Arrow button to move one channel at a time, and the Channel Up/Down button to move through the channels more quickly. You can also enter a specific channel number if you want to get way down or way up in the list, skipping over perhaps hundreds of channels you aren't interested in.

3) Very Important! Once you have set the Favorite channels you want, go back up one level (Left Arrow) and go to Flip By Channels. If you want the Channel Up/Down button to tune to the next Favorite channel, set Flip By Channels to Favorite Channels. If you want the Channel Up/Down buttons to tune to every channel, even the ones not in your Favorites, set it to All Channels. Your choice, but Flip By Channels makes the Favorites list much more usable, IMHO.

4) After you have set up your Favorites, you may find a channel(s) you forgot to add, or you may want to get rid of one or more. An easy way to do either, when you are viewing the channel you want to add or remove, is just hit the Options button, and a few icons will appear on the left of the screen. Go up to the Heart icon, and click it, this will add or remove the channel from the Favorites. Of course you can always go back via the Menu path and do it that way also, but for just a few channels at random, the Options button is easier.

Hope this helps.

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX 

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

I'm used to the Comcast way of doing Favorites.  I liked their way much better.  Once you have your Favorites set, every time you hit Favorite it switched to the next Favorite channel and not a listing the way FiOS does.

I hope they change this. The current way is convoluted IMHO.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@nascar wrote:

I'm used to the Comcast way of doing Favorites.  I liked their way much better.  Once you have your Favorites set, every time you hit Favorite it switched to the next Favorite channel and not a listing the way FiOS does.

Now I am confused. If you have Flip By Favorites set to Favorite Channels, then the Channel Up/Down button does exactly that, Up to the next higher Favorite channel, Down to the next lower Favorite channel. Yes, hitting the Heart button gives you the Guide on FiOS showing Favorites only - exactly what I want, seems like a very useful way for it to work. Why would I want to hit the Favorites button (the Heart) and get my next Favorite - how would I determine up or down? 

Go set them the way I suggested and see if it doesn't work well. At least give it a try...

And please Verizon, don't change the way it works, it is terrific the way it is!

Justin
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX 

Message Edited by Justin on 10-22-2008 04:33 PM
0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

When you have small children and they are used to the Comcast way it makes sense.  I set the Favorites to all of the Kids channels and they could just keep hitting Favorite until they found something they wanted.

The FiOS way may work for most, I guess, but to me it is not what my household is used to.

@Justin wrote:

@nascar wrote:

Now I am confused. If you have Flip By Favorites set to Favorite Channels, then the Channel Up/Down button does exactly that, Up to the next higher Favorite channel, Down to the next lower Favorite channel. Yes, hitting the Heart button gives you the Guide on FiOS showing Favorites only - exactly what I want, seems like a very useful way for it to work. Why would I want to hit the Favorites button (the Heart) and get my next Favorite - how would I determine up or down? 

Go set them the way I suggested and see if it doesn't work well. At least give it a try...

And please Verizon, don't change the way it works, it is terrific the way it is!

Justin
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX 

Message Edited by Justin on 10-22-2008 04:33 PM

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

nascar, 

OK, that makes sense. On the other hand, my experience with my kids and now grandkids is that they are far more adaptable, more quickly, than us old you-know-whats are. If you are in an area with the 1.6 version of the IMG, couldn't you set up two Favorites lists, one for them and one for you, and show them how to use theirs and the Channel Up/Down button? I bet they could adapt very quickly.

Just a thought.

Justin
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1
It is less of a big deal then I might be making it to be.  You are correct they do adapt quickly.  Plus I don't think Verizon is going to change it on one complaint.  We'll make it work.
0 Likes