fios amplifier or ethernet
flwilsonjr1945

I have had FIOS TV/Internet/Phone in my house for several years. It works well.

Recently I installed a Fios DVR and TV in a garage that is 510 feet (RG11 coax cable) from the main house.

The verizon supplied coax splitter in the house feeds the TVs in the house and also the RG11 to the garage. In the garage, without any amplifier, I get the lower chanels and the guide, but the upper channels are poor or non existant. With an Amp in the garage I get all of the channels, but not the guide.

I have functioning Fios internet ( ethernet cat 5 with a switch at 250 feet) in the garage. Can the DVR get the guide over the cat 5, while leaving the amp in the coax for all of the chanels?

Help and thanks

0 Likes
Re: fios amplifier or ethernet
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@flwilsonjr1945 wrote:

I have had FIOS TV/Internet/Phone in my house for several years. It works well.

Recently I installed a Fios DVR and TV in a garage that is 510 feet (RG11 coax cable) from the main house.

The verizon supplied coax splitter in the house feeds the TVs in the house and also the RG11 to the garage. In the garage, without any amplifier, I get the lower chanels and the guide, but the upper channels are poor or non existant. With an Amp in the garage I get all of the channels, but not the guide.

I have functioning Fios internet ( ethernet cat 5 with a switch at 250 feet) in the garage. Can the DVR get the guide over the cat 5, while leaving the amp in the coax for all of the chanels?

Help and thanks

it depends on the connection type.  if you look at the router lights, and the coax WAN light is on, then NO.

if ethernet WAN is on then yes.  

you're problem may be the coax itself if it's not an RG6 cable, or it may be the splitter, if it's not rated 1000mhz or higher.   I would recheck those two things and get rid of the amplifier.  typically the amplifiers are not a good idea on the fios system.  the ont produces a hot enough signal that it can get upto 15 boxes (non moca) going at once.  it may be the amplifier you used as well, if it can't pass over 1000mhz,  the guide data is sent over the 1000mhz range, and I think it's 1000 - 1150 if I Remember right? 

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@flwilsonjr1945 wrote:

Help and thanks

There are no active ethernet ports on the Verizon STBs.

The problem you are most likely experiencing is due to the cable loss over that distance (regardless of the fact that you used RG-11 which will have less loss than RG-6) which is a "tilted" rolloff that gets higher as frequencies increase.

As for amplifiers, unless it is one supplied by Verizon they are not compatable with the MoCA guide data (I believe that Verzion does have one, but it is not widely used as the FiOS signal is typically strong enough for the average house distribution - even when split 8 ways).  The guide (and widgets) are provided with a frequency at 1 GHz (or up).  Typical cable amps (even those called bidirectional) have a return path frequency that is below 49 MHz (that used by typical cable companies).

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

If you have a second Moca router in your garage, you could turn off DHCP, MOCA WAN, leave MOCA LAN on, in the second router and use it as a bridge. Set the address at say 192.168.1.2. Remember it is working as a bridge so do not use the WAN Ethernet port, just use the LAN ports. My ONT is Ethernet to my router and MOCA gets the IP through the Ethernet. Getting a second router or perhaps a NIM 100 and use it in reverse. Ethernet to MOCA and not MOCA to Ethernet.

You would need to use a low pass filter on the COAX line from the house. The low pass filter would need to be 5-950mhz to keep the second MOCA device from looping back to your house. I have one of these filters left by a Verizon tech that told me to put it on the 612 ONT because of the same feed back issue when using Ethernet and not MOCA from the ONT. Also you would need to split the coax in the garage. One side to the MOCA bridge/router and the other to the TV. Remember that all these coax devices should be bidirectional and handle the 1150mhz MOCA signal.

Like was said the FiOS ONT signal is pretty strong and I would look at your splitter(s) in your house. One issue could be the MOCA from the router is not that hot, meaning perhaps not as strong.

PS. My primary router is a Linux box. My Actiontech is running as I said. Ethernet,  wireless, and MOCA LAN. DHCP and MOCA WAN is turned off. Your second router would be doing the same thing. All is not supported by Verizon.

Keep us posted

0 Likes