Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get gifts fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same-day delivery.

fios cable boxes

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

fios cable boxes

Message 1 of 1
(1,540 Views)

As a techie (software engineer, retired) new to fios, when I got the fios equipment, I quickly found I could purchase my own F1100 router (and knock $10 from my monthly bill) but I also, mistakenly thought I could do the same for the cable box. And thus began a long journey into murky waters. Used cable boxes seemed plentiful on eBay, and seemed very inexpensive. So I bought one, a Cisco 335HDC. There was something rattling around in it, so I opened it up to find the object (it was a bobby pin), but in the process of opening it, I turned the unit upside down, and there, on a label in large letters, it said PROPERTY OF VERIZON. And it had a Verizon cable card in it.

Oops. I had just purchased stolen property. I returned it to my nearest Verizon store, kissing goodbye to the $40 I had just spent. I was a little surprised that I didn't get any kind of reward,. remuneration, or even a thank you note for doing this, but I was not about to confront some random guy from the Bronx to demand my money back.

I did a bit more research. Verizon never sells cable boxes; they are only rented. They are all Verizon property. The only non-Verizon-owned cable box you can buy is one of the very high end ones, like Tivo.

For laughs, just before turning the box in to the Verizon store, I tried a TV connection to the box. It got an interesting error message - "The cable box is having difficulty connecting to the server." It turns out that when the boxes go out of service, Verizon marks their ID in a list that is referred to by their activation software. In other words, they become electronic trash, completely unusable. (And even if this check fails, imagine your embarrassment the next time a Verizon tech comes to your house for service and informs you that you are using stolen property...).

My question to Verizon - why doesn't the company offer a reward (like, perhaps 1000 Rewards+ points) for turning in such equipment. They are expensive, complex technology, and there is a large underground economy in these boxes; I can only assume that Verizon wants the equipment back, even if they have already billed the original customer for non-return. It would have been nice for me to receive some sort of reward for returning it.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.