(frustrated) Issue with 5.1 surround setup w/ fios STB
nessa4211

I've been at this for several hours now and getting pretty frustrated. I'm not an audio expert so I'm sure I'm just missing something simple.

I have a very simple setup:

- Motorola 7232-P2 HD DVR STB

- Coby 5.1 surround system - CSP96 model (comes with a DVD player as its receiver)

- Samsung SmartTV

The way I have it set up is as follows:

- The TV is connected to the STB via HDMI

- The speakers are connected to the DVD player (receiver)

- The DVD player (receiver) is connected to the STB via fiber

I have the sound settings for the STB set to 'surround' and the backend menu is configured to use "pass through" as the audio output.  However, I get no sound. The only way I get anything is if I connect the a/v cables between the STB and receiver, which results in sound from only the front left speaker.

What's the simplest way to get this working?  BTW, the DVD/receiver does not have an HDMI port.

Thank you in advance

0 Likes
Re: (frustrated) Issue with 5.1 surround setup w/ fios STB
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does your TV have an fiber output for sound?  If so, that woud be the better way to hook this up.   That's the way I am setup personally.

Prior to getting my new TV, I used the digital coax output on the STB to connect to my home theater system and it worked great.  So if that's an option, you might want to try that.

The other thing I'd look out would be  to turn off pass-thru and select a specific output format for the audio and see what that gets you.

0 Likes
n0luckhere

If your DVR and Surround sound receiver have optical ports try connecting the The output of your DVR to the input of your SS receiver.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

digital coax cable is very cheap at both amazon.com and monoprice.com

0 Likes