hd multi-room dvr expansion?
homepkg

I have two HD tvs. Just recently got fios installed (less than month) and got one multi-room dvr (6414) but I was during install that I found out multi-room only works with SD set-top boxes. So I have one HD tv with a SD box (sucks).  I read that verizon is planning to expand multi-room dvr to include HD streaming..is that available now?

My other issue is that the one dvr I have doesn't really have the recording space I would like it to have.

Would like to expand system, is either of these options possible?

1) Get two hd multi-room dvrs(presumably model 6414). One for each tv and have them both feed to multi-room and also double my recording space?

2) Get expanded drive space to add to one 6414 hd multi-room dvr? (e.g. can I add an external drive to increase space?). Also, what HD settop box would I have to get for the multi-room HD streaming when that does come along - will any of them work or does it have to be a non-dvr one?

UPDATE:  I have img 1.6 - so does that mean I have hd mulit-room capability now as soon as I get another hd settop box?

Message Edited by homepkg on 09-05-2008 12:22 PM
0 Likes
Re: hd multi-room dvr expansion?
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
It will be available once you get the 1.6 upgrade. It should be done in the next few weeks.
0 Likes
homepkg

Okay great. I was just upgradded to 1.6 so I guess my next step is to get an HD set-top box for my 2nd tv. 

Anyone know if I can get another hd dvr set-top box for the second tv and have them both steam to either hd tv? Or can I have only one hd dvr and the has to be a hd set-top box only?

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Only one 6416 can be the multi-room DVR. The new 7000 series Motorola will eventually be allowed to have an external esata drive.
0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

Sorry abobut this double-post, but it seemed germane to the discussion at hand:

Perhaps my solution will work for you.  I had FIOS installed about 2 weeks ago, and it was made clear from the outset that the Home Media HD-DVR would NOT work with the HD Set-top boxes, but ONLY with the SD Set-top boxes.  With 2 HDTVs, that was unacceptable, and with the tiny hard drive on the DVR, I opted for ONE Home Media DVR, which "talks" to my SD Set-top box on my analog TV, and a separate HD-DVR at the second HD TV.  The down side is that I cannot share recordings between all of my TVs (the HD-DVR is "stand-alone"), but I do have double the recording space.

I have had IMG Release 1.6 since the beginning, and the agent from whom I ordered and the installer BOTH said that the Home Media DVR would not work with an HD Set-top box, so I wonder if that claim (I've read it several times in these fora) is accurate?  I have not had a straight HD Set-top box connected, so I can't really test to confirm or refute that claim. (By the way, there is no hardware difference  between the HD DVR and the Home Media DVR.  Just different software activated)

Until the recording capacity is significantly increased, by either allowing external hard drives via USB or eSATA, or by upgrading the internal Hard Drive, I'm likely to keep my current setup.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

CapnTrips,

"so I wonder if that claim (I've read it several times in these fora) is accurate?"

Yes, it is accurate, as confirmed by another poster in another thread here at this forum. And it has been confirmed by multiple posters at other forums. The agent simply told you wrong.

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
Keller, TX

0 Likes
searay1
Same story told to me, and just yesterday I received the ' newest version" of the HD Set top that WOULD have the capabilties to receive transfer of programs from multi room DVR...................WRONG!!!......................still cant!! this is brutal!!
0 Likes