hd vs sd
jimmy2times

i have an HD tv.  when i view SD channel, eg abc/7, the screen is full.  when i watch HD channels, eg abc/507, the screen is not full.  any explanation for this?

0 Likes
Re: hd vs sd
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check the SD override settings on our STB and the settings, if available, on your TV for how it handles 480i (SD) signals.  It is not uncommon for those settings to specify "stretch" or "fill" or other types of scaling meant to make an SD signal fill the screen.

HD is broadcast in 720p or 1080i and will automatically take the full screen on your TV.   What you are likely experiencing here with the picture not filling the screen is that the local TV channel is actually only broadcasting in SD for the particular program in question and is simply inserting it into the HD channel unaltered -- which the TV and STB won't know to scale because the black bands on the side are part of the signal being provided by the station.   Essentially you are seeing the signal exactly as it originates from the TV station -- not scaled or altered at can be done to an native SD signal received by your STB or TV.

0 Likes