help installing new dvr
iwarner10
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, i just ordered another DVR for a room that i am now renting out(was empty before). The room has a coxial cable outlet, but when i plug in the dvr, it says it cannot auto set-up. almost as if it doesnt detect a coaxial cable. 

I checked outside of my house in the tv box to see if any cables were'nt connected, but they all seemed to be plugged in. 

Any advice would be great. My next step would be to have verizon come out and check but id rather save the $50 if i can. Thanks

0 Likes
Re: help installing new dvr
PJL
Master - Level 3

You might try activating the new box on a coax line that is working with your other STB to confirm it is working.

Justin46
Legend

@iwarner10 wrote:

Hi, i just ordered another DVR for a room that i am now renting out(was empty before). The room has a coxial cable outlet, but when i plug in the dvr, it says it cannot auto set-up. almost as if it doesnt detect a coaxial cable. 

I checked outside of my house in the tv box to see if any cables were'nt connected, but they all seemed to be plugged in. 

Any advice would be great. My next step would be to have verizon come out and check but id rather save the $50 if i can. Thanks

My bet is that that coax is not connected to your network.

The first thing I would do is take your working DVR to that room and see if that will work there. If not, then there is some problem with the coax to the room. There are diagnostic sceeens in the help area of the Menu where you can see whether there is any signal, how strong it is, etc.

I don't understand your comment about going outside and checking the connections there. Normally for a single family house type of installation the ONT is installed outside and has one coax from it to a splitter somewhere inside the house (attic or basement). At that point all of the coax connections to the various rooms (STBs) and the router are connected. So if there is no signal in that room you really need to find the splitter and make sure the coax from that room is connected (and I bet it is not).

If you want you can take the new DVR to where your existing DVR is and hook it up there to get it activated, it does not matter which coax connection you use to do that.

Why don't you do the above and then let us know, if those things check out then maybe there are some other things to look at.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

iwarner10
Enthusiast - Level 2

i brought my old dvr into new room and it does not work in there. the new dvr works in living room. it must be the coaxial cable in not hooked up then correct? 

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@iwarner10 wrote:

i brought my old dvr into new room and it does not work in there. the new dvr works in living room. it must be the coaxial cable in not hooked up then correct? 

Yep.

Now you need to find the splitter and figure out why that coax in the new room doesn't work (isn't connected). I of course have no idea of the layout of your home, but from the ONT (the box outside) there should be one coax that leads somewhere inside the house, and it should end at the splitter (frequently but certainly not aways in the basement or attic). Or start with the coax in the new room and see if you can find where it goes. Or start with the coax that you know works and follow it. But the net is, you need to find the splitter and attach the coax for the new room to it. Now if the existing splitter does not have an available unused connection you will need to get a new splitter with more coax connections - if you see a Verizon truck in the neighborhood, or you have a Verizon store nearby that handles FiOS, you may be able to get a splitter just by asking (I have done that in the past). Or you can buy one in lots of stores, just make sure that it has enough connections, is rated for at least 5-1000MHz, and is by-directional.

Are you having fun yet? Smiley Happy

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

iwarner10
Enthusiast - Level 2

wow. thanks for the help. i will poke around tomorrow and see what i find. thanks

0 Likes