how do i disable an STB box myself? i dont want it to work
ugpcalled

for a while... can i program it somehow and have it disabled

its my son, he is addicted to TV. any way to program it to have it turned off by 10?

probably not, so i rather have it disabled..maybe in the settings?

0 Likes
Re: how do i disable an STB box myself? i dont want it to work
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Short of hooking it up to an external timer, no.  The other thing you could do is turn on the parental controls, but this will make it a pain for you when you want to watch as you would have to enter your PIN every time.

0 Likes
Roadking10453
Contributor - Level 1

disable: can't

parental controls to block access

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Think you want a Power-Cop or BOB ...

http://www.familysafemedia.com/power_cop_tv_time_manager_pare.html

I can't speak for the site itself, but the device is exactly what you want.   Plug the STB into the unit and lock it and then plug the unit into the wall.   You program the times the device receives power and when it doesn't.   There is one flaw in that the STB's and most TV's nowadays have removable power cords -- if your child can find a power cord from another device (STB), they could swap it out at the box end and make an end run.

Beyond that ... I find a little parental authority can be highly effective ... and when they don't listen, you simply remove the STB altogether from their room and they don't get TV at all.  Doesn't make for a popular parent ... but that's why it's called parenting.