how to setup the actiontec modem as a bridge to my sonicwall firewall
daryey

due to the storm our modem needed to be factory reset and now we need to reconfigure it to get my office computers back on the internet. we have a static IP adfdress from Verizon, and need to know how to configure our actiontec fios modem to passthrough that address to my sonicwall which is already configured

0 Likes
Re: how to setup the actiontec modem as a bridge to my sonicwall firewall
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Depends on your scenario.

If you are Ethernet at the ONT and have no TV service, then just disconnect the actiontec altogether. It's not needed. Plug your sonicwall direct to the etherent and enjoy. 

If you have TV service then you need the actiontec so that the Set top boxes will get IP's and thus be able to perform the menu/guide system and VOD and Widgets.  Use these instructions. 

Configure MI424WR as a LAN MoCA Bridge

0 Likes
daryey

The coax is going into the Actiontec and that has the Ethernet output , and I have no TV but they nave a sonic wall that is already configured with the station IP so I just need the Actiontec to run as a bridge or pass through to the sonic wall 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

well you can definetely follow the instructions posted, but you may want to make the situation a lot easier, and just install an ethernet run to from the ONT to the actiontec, and call Verizon to ask then to turn on the ethernet.   Remove unneccessary points of failure.   BUT you can use it as is with the coax, just follow the above instructions.

0 Likes
daryey

in your instructions if I have a static IP address from Fios already configured into the sonicwall what IP address do I set the Actiontec to? 

The sonic wall is set to accept the static IP and give out to my computers IP addresses from 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1,254

so what number should I configure the Actiontec to?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The instructions followed step by step ask you to set the actiontec as a 192.168.1.50

0 Likes
daryey

Followed the instructions when I clicked disable on the broadband connection coax (item 4) the actiontec rebooted then I disconnected the Ethernet that was going from the Actiontec to my laptop and connected it to the sonic wall which was already configured with the static IP address and the Actiontec would not connect to the internet so blow what? Please help

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The actiontec won't connect to the internet, or have an internet light.   It will simply be a bridge which just passes traffic through.  

So this is the expected behavior.  

The ONT - > Actiontec - LAN PORT to your SONIC WALL.

After succesfully making that a moca lan bridge (keyword lan) what should happen is that your internet light goes out, your traffic is passed through the actiontec straight to the Verizon Supplied Static IP addresses which are to be programmed on your Sonicwall.  The internet should function and the actiontec is in a moca lan (keyword being lan) and providing LAN access to only your set top boxes and anything plugged into the LAN ports.  Your Sonic wall is providing the WAN access to the whole location.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Truthfully there are a lot of ways to do this, that normally is a pretty easy way, but you have static IP's so you may want to double check all the solutions here, and find the one that works best.  

So I'll provide this link just in case. 

0 Likes