i have verizon fios tv phone internet i need help with my own router
guidobabe09
Enthusiast - Level 1

So i had the newest verizon router but had lots of issues when gaming so i bought the nighthawk router. i got the moca box to go with it and returned the white router to verizon. Now my 2 stb downstairs and one upstairs work fine but the other 2 minis upstairs wont do anything. I dont get video to them i have reset them multi times and still get no video it says cant connect. Why does 3 work and 2 dont work and what do i do to fix them

0 Likes
Re: i have verizon fios tv phone internet i need help with my own router
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have pictures of your setup?

How did you connect your MoCA adapter?

guidobabe09
Enthusiast - Level 1

i have the either net cable going from the internet jack to the nighthawk then a cable from the nighthawk to the moca adapter and then the coax cable from the splitter to the moca adapter on the network side

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your setup sounds right. What's the model of the MoCA adapter?

guidobabe09
Enthusiast - Level 1

its the motorola 2.0 moca adater model mm1000

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like you have the latest fios ONE boxes.  They really like having a Verizon router as primary and don't work well without one.  There may be ports you need to open to let them communicate, but they are not documented and can change without warning.  They will not complete initial activation through a non-Verizon router.  If they loose activation, you can't re-activate them without a Verizon router.  Verizon will provide zero support for issues beyond the ONT.  This includes any issues with TV service.

For these reasons, I recommend Verizon set-top-box  subscribers keep a Verizon router as primary.  Another router or mesh network can be added behind it if a user doesn't like the Verizon router's WiFi or wants features not available on the Verizon router.

Lots of people game behind Verizon routers.  If you describe what your issues are, we may be able to help.

Another option is to cut-the-cord on Verizon's TV service.  Then, you can easily use whatever router you like.  You'll still won't get Verizon support past the ONT, but most reasonably techie people are able to manage their own router.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Motorola MM1000 is MoCA bonded 2.0. Can you ask the manufacturer what MoCA chip they use in the product? If it is BCM6802, then it has compatibility issues with Fios One/mini boxes.

guidobabe09
Enthusiast - Level 1

i dont understand why 3 would work and not 2. The 3 that work i get guides time widgets all that but the 2 that dont work i get nothing not even tv

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Mini's get TV streamed from them over IP from the main box.  If they don't have a connection to the LAN, they don't work.

Are the non-functional boxes activated?  If they aren't, you won't be able to activate them without a Verizon router.

You could try another LAN connection.  Mini's support Ethernet and WiFi in addition to MoCA. WiFi won't work well for you, as they look for a hidden network created by a Verizon router, which the Nighthawk doesn't create.  Ethernet should work.  If you can run an Ethernet cable to a mini, simply plug it in, unplug the coax and then power cycle the box.  If it works, you'll know there was an issue with the coax connection to that location.

As you can see, the fios ONE system is setup to work with a Verizon router.  Trying to use it without a Verizon router creates all sorts of problems.  Even if you get it working today, problems will likely occur in the future.  Once again, this is why I recommend fios TV subscribers use a Verizon router as primary.

guidobabe09
Enthusiast - Level 1

yes they are activated will i have issues if i have the g1100 as the main and then i assume i have to run a cable from the g1100 to the night hawk correct will everything run off the nighthawk

0 Likes