Re: img 1.7
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

MythTV

My quesation stands.

MythTV works with TV tuner cards in a pc.

How do you:

1) Get the pc to see FIOS channels

2) or, get a PC to change the channel on a FIOS STB?

Since FIOS is all digital, how do you do either of these?

0 Likes
dvhart
Enthusiast - Level 2
There are two known ways to make this work.  One is to use the STB's firewire out ports - people have had limited success with this.  The other approach is to use a QAM tuner card or device, like the HDHomeRun by Silicon Dust (this is what I do) to record the Clear QAM channels.  As I said, I am on FiOS TV Local, and all those channels are not scrambled (ie Clear QAM), my TV can tune them directly, and so can my HDHomeRun.  The ATSC streams are written straight to disk without transcoding and they look great.
0 Likes
dvhart
Enthusiast - Level 2

And a link to some discussions on the myth users list regarding fios and the HD HomeRun I mentioned:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/267527

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@prisaz wrote:
I don't think it is an IMG issue. VZ just cramed as much into their system as anyone else. Do you really think they upgraded all the VHOs to expand the offerings? Could be as little as possible. Perhaps in 2009 they will improve things in the VHOs and 1.7 will support it. I guess they will only know.

Yes they did upgrade all the VHO's.  I have done QAM scans before and after the expansion and there are many"new" QAM channels that only use 2 sub-channels - indicative of the bandwidth needed for HD content.

Message Edited by Keyboards on 12-31-2008 08:33 AM
0 Likes
speedo123
Contributor - Level 1

@TimSykes wrote:
I don't think it does. I have missed shows because of this. But I may be wrong. Can anyone backup ether claim? Thanks.

What CSimpson says is sorta true, but I've found that it doesn't do this reliably.  One of the things that can prevent this from working is if you have the lower priority show set on First Runs only.  The later airing of the show is apparently no longer tagged as a First Run (but not always the case), so it gets skipped.  However, as said, I haven't found that this function works on a consistent basis.  Sometimes does and sometimes doesn't.  I haven't been able to determine any pattern as to the whys.  My thought is it probably has something to do with how the Guide lists the program.  As the Guide is so inconsistent in so many areas, it seems logical that it is the culprit here, but that's just a guess.  Maybe if we get a better Guide (rumored for 2009!), the problem will be solved.

Message Edited by speedo123 on 12-31-2008 09:28 AM
0 Likes
gdi

From Techmab28 in early Dec_08,

"we can't say anything right now  because things can change But I would look for 1.7 in the first quarter is best I can give at this time but don't hold me to that."

Feb 09- Anything new on IMG 1.7 rollout? How will it be applied to my newish VZ DVR? Automatic, elective or what? thanks, Bill H

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@gdi wrote:

From Techmab28 in early Dec_08,

"we can't say anything right now  because things can change But I would look for 1.7 in the first quarter is best I can give at this time but don't hold me to that."

Feb 09- Anything new on IMG 1.7 rollout? How will it be applied to my newish VZ DVR? Automatic, elective or what? thanks, Bill H

1.6.0 is the current on my boxes, and I read 1.6.1 is the current beta. So I guess 1.7 is gonna take a while. I would like to see this guestion answered. 1.6.1 is a minor release that should fix the soft SD picture and many other MAJOR issues. 1.7 would be a major release. Perhaps we can wish 1.7 is on hold for a good guide. Any Verizon people feel free to jump in.
Follow this thread. It expains and is more up to date.
Message Edited by prisaz on 02-08-2009 08:38 AM
0 Likes
gdi
How does one read which IMG release is the current one that is installed on your DVR? Thank you, Bill H
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Menu ==> Settings ==> System Information

It is the first item displayed.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
gdi
Thanks, Justin. My IMG__ and build is identical to yours. Bill
0 Likes