intermittent signal interruptions (green screen)
nodrog

Anyone else want to weigh-in on this issue? I have intermittent green screen interruptions, particularly during evening hours, making it very difficult to watch TV with my FIOS service. Tech support said the issue is known (see my recent chat transcript below). I wish I would've known when signing-up that my particular brand of TV has a compatibility issue with FIOS. I would have bought a different TV had I known. However, verizon has been silent on this issue. Thus and particularly considering verizon's deceptive billing practices, I pay top dollar for a service I can not use. They say they are working on the issue. I wish they would disclose the issue when people sign-up. 

See my last chat transcript. TV signal loss intermittently during peak (evening) hours. FIOS tech reset my STB, which fixed the problem temporarily, but the problem returned. he stated that a new STB is required and left a note with my account, which you should be able to view
Antonio: There is a known issue w/the 7000 series box that is going to be fixed by a software push in the next week or so. When it goes off, what exactly does it do?
gordon macpherson: STB stays on. signal is lost and screen turns green for a few seconds and then returns. This happens every few minutes, sometimes more frequently and more so at night. I have 2 stb and this is the only 1 with the problem
Antonio: It doesn't say "currently unavai" just goes to the green screen
gordon macpherson: correct
Antonio: one moment
Antonio: What kind of cable do you have from the box to the TV?
gordon macpherson: HDMI. I tried 2 separate cables- both have the problem. Since the signal if fine during the am it is unlikely that the cable is the issue
Antonio: It's not an issue w/a bad cable. Wht is going on is that the firware of the TV is not liking the firmware of the box itself
gordon macpherson: why is the other tv not presenting a problem. Both are sharp tvs
Antonio: Each of the TV and the box itself are all just highly speciliazed computers. And sometimes there are compatiblity issues. The temporary resolution is to reset your box by unplugging the power cable for 10-15 seconds. The more permanent solution is to use component cables from the box to your TV. Verizon is working on a fix for the issue, however we don?t have it yet.
gordon macpherson: So others are having this same problem?
Antonio: Yes sir
Antonio: However it is not a problem w/all TV or all manfactures. We know what is causing the issue, however devising a solution is taking us a while longer
gordon macpherson: when will there be a fix? It seems that verizon should not be charging for a service they are not able to provide
gordon macpherson: i am essentially unable to use my 2nd tv with fios
Antonio: We are working on a fix, but I don't have an ETA. It's not that we can't provide the service, it's that some of the programing in the TV has problems switching from analog to HD signals and back again
gordon macpherson: there was nothing in the contract to specify that certain TVs would not work
gordon macphersonWhat is verizon doing for people who have this unresolved issue
Antonio: Right now the solution is to put the TV on componet cables (which are HD cables) 
gordon macpherson: so there is no difference in signal quality between hdmi and component cables?
gordon macpherson: will verizon provide the component cables
Antonio: There is a slight difference. But we've had people in our call center w/the fios service test both cables. They say the difference is like being able to see an extra blade of grass
Antonio: We can't provide componet cables, however if you are willing to get your own I can get a 25 dollar service credit to cover the cost
gordon macpherson: I think this constitutes breach of contract. This issue was clearly known when I signed on, and there was no communication of a list of TV brands for which problems have been recorded
Antonio: I understand your frustation and I can work w/you to get a credit for those componet cables.
gordon macpherson: I appreciate that. however, I am paying for service compatible with HDMI
gordon macpherson: If verizon is unable to provide the agreed upon service I request that my account be cancelled and the cancellation fee waived
Antonio: Verizon is working on this issue. However if you wish to cancel you would need to speak w/our billing department. 
gordon macpherson: OK I will forward this transcript with my cancellation request. In the meantime, please provide the credit and I will use it to buy component cables and see if that helps. Thanks for your help
Antonio: Ok. One moment for the to put that in
gordon macpherson: Ok Antonio. I realize this is the best you could do from where you sit. I appreciate the help and was interested to learn that I was not the only one with this issue.
Antonio: while I'm putting that in...did you want me to reset the box?
gordon macpherson: No it was reset yesterday. I will reset it tonight. 
Antonio: Ok. I've got that request in. the Ticket number is MDDQ03T7Z8. This may take a couple of billing cycles to reflect
gordon macpherson: I would encourage verizon to communicate a current list of TVs for which there is a signal issue, until resolved. Had this been done when I signed up I would simply have bought a different TV
gordon macpherson: Ok thanks
Antonio: I will pass that along. However because the issue is highly dependant on the firmware of the specific models that is very hard to do. One last thing. If you get the componet cables and it does the same thing, then in that case it is not the known issue and we will replace the box (but right now all indications are that it is)
gordon macpherson: Ok. I will try that and see what happens. Do I need the 3 color (yellow, green, white) 2-ended cables?
Antonio: The componet are the green/blue/red ones for the hd signal and the red/white ones for audio
gordon macpherson: ok thanks. will verizon let me know when a software fix is available
0 Likes