.m4v files not supported in Media Manager?
run53
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

I have several .m4v files that I ripped from DVDs. I used these file to play from iTunes to my Apple tv. I read that Media Manager supprts .m4v files but I keep getting an error mesage when I scan that these files are not supported. Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: .m4v files not supported in Media Manager?
PJL
Master - Level 3

@run53 wrote:

You may be on to something with that. I use Handbrake to rip the DVDs. Handbrake has a preset for Apple TV which uses h.264 codec. If MM doesn't support that codec, then I'm out of luck. I will have to re-rip them. But before I re-encode them, I went looking for a list of supported codecs for MM.

A google search turned this up on a MM forum.......

Important Note: Some supported video files may not be playable because the codec used to create the video is not supported. Supported Video Codecs in AVI/MP4 files: mjpg, m4s2, xvid, divx, wmv, mpg, flv1 vp6f, h264, and mp42.

so it appears that h264 is indeed supported. Still not sure what is going on.

Are you trying to play the ripped H.264 on the STB using Media Manager?  Or on the PC?  If it's the former, than you are out of luck.  The STB only suppots AVI, WMV, FLV, 3GP/3G2, MPG (non-MPEG2 videos), and MP4/M4V (non-H.264 videos).  See this page link.

View solution in original post

Dtrain98

Hello,

Based off what you were saying about the support for .m4v files, re-check that they are supported. Your media manager may need a software update to support this format. If the files are stored in a folder somewhere make sure the device can read from that location. Your media player may not be able to access the place where the files are stored. I hope this helps with the trouble shooting.

0 Likes
run53
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for responding. I just downloaded Media Manager yesterday so I assume it must be the latest version. Also, when MM scans the harddrive, it finds the .m4v files but it says they are not supported. However, the documentation for MM says they are. Still not sure why it says the .m4v files are not supported.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@run53 wrote:

Thanks for responding. I just downloaded Media Manager yesterday so I assume it must be the latest version. Also, when MM scans the harddrive, it finds the .m4v files but it says they are not supported. However, the documentation for MM says they are. Still not sure why it says the .m4v files are not supported.

What program did you use to rip the files?  It may be requiring a different codec for the .m4v files that is not available to the Verizon Media Manager program.  Not all codecs are created equal even though they might create the same type of video file.

It's amazing what you can find when you do an Internet search for "what file formats does verizon media manager support."  I found this Verizon link that says this:  "Important:  Some supported video files may not be playable because the codec used to create the video is not supported."  This is the page link to get this information.

0 Likes
run53
Enthusiast - Level 1

You may be on to something with that. I use Handbrake to rip the DVDs. Handbrake has a preset for Apple TV which uses h.264 codec. If MM doesn't support that codec, then I'm out of luck. I will have to re-rip them. But before I re-encode them, I went looking for a list of supported codecs for MM.

Important Note: Some supported video files may not be playable because the codec used to create the video is not supported. Supported Video Codecs in AVI/MP4 files: mjpg, m4s2, xvid, divx, wmv, mpg, flv1 vp6f, h264, and mp42.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@run53 wrote:

Are you trying to play the ripped H.264 on the STB using Media Manager?  Or on the PC?  If it's the former, than you are out of luck.  The STB only suppots AVI, WMV, FLV, 3GP/3G2, MPG (non-MPEG2 videos), and MP4/M4V (non-H.264 videos).  See this page link.

run53
Enthusiast - Level 1

Looks like you found the answer. I will either have to re-encode the files or wait for MM to support h.264

Thanks!

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@run53 wrote:

Looks like you found the answer. I will either have to re-encode the files or wait for MM to support h.264

Thanks!

Again, Media Manager supports H.264 when running on the PC but not when streaming to the STB -- because the STB itself does not have a codec for H.264. 

0 Likes
run53
Enthusiast - Level 1

Exactly.....I meant to say:

Looks like you found the answer. I will either have to re-encode the files or wait for STB to support h.264

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@run53 wrote:

Exactly.....I meant to say:

Looks like you found the answer. I will either have to re-encode the files or wait for STB to support h.264

Unfortunately that may be a VERY long wait.  Adding a codec to the STB is something the manufactur would have to do, not Verizon, because it is probably something that is part of the actual operating system-equivalent capabilities of the STB, not the IMG.  Re-encode -- or by a cheap DVD player.  I see they are a low as $22 or lower on line.

0 Likes