moca setup question
Mocagirl

Adding moca 2.0 actiontec adapters to 2 rooms with Fios Set top boxes to get bettter connectivity. We have Gigabit via the gateway router. 

Each STB needs the actiontec adapter connected in the rooms we want the coax to work as an eterhet transmitter, I understand that part. But at the coax to router connection do I need a moca adapter between the coax line coming in and the router as well? 

I hear the Gateway router is Moca compliant, and I dont understand if that means I only need the adapters on the other end (rooms away from the router). Can someone clarify?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: moca setup question
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Mocagirl wrote:

After 4 hours with action tech tech support I sent the adapters back. 

they would run great for 5 minutes then lose connection. The tech support couldn’t figure it out.

is it possible there was a setting like frequency that needed to be adjusted that would explain the cut outs actiontex couldn’t figure it out

Verizon uses channel D1 which is in the 1100-1175 MHz range. I read in other posts that you can change the frequency in the Actiontec adapters. The Verizon ones you cannot. If you want to give it another shot try using the Verizon FNA. They are only $55 and have four ethernet ports to connect other devices. They are also bonded 2.0, but if using the G1100 router they will be limited to around 400 mbps. The G1100 is MoCA 2.0.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Gateway router should work fine with the adapters. Just take the coax out of the STBs and connect to the adapters. If you have IPC1100 or 4100 boxes then you can connect the ethernet from the adapter into the STB. Otherwise, you'll need a two-port splitter after the coax outlet and one out will go to the adapter and the other out will go to the STB. 

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Depends on the model router.  The older Actiont3c routers (red ones) are Moca 1.1 while the new Gateway routers are Moca 2.0  (black fin) and the newest G3300 (round) are Moca 2.5.

Moca is backwards compatible but the overall network will only run as fast as the slowest adapter.

Also note that the Moca 2.0 router is not bonded — meaning it only uses one channel (at approx 500gb) and not a pair (at approx 1gb) which is what the usual ECB6200 Actiontec units you get online are nowadays.

So keep all devices at the same Moca revision.  Don’t have any slower devices on a segment (or everything will run at the slower speed).   With that you can determ8ne if you want to plug directly into the router (which will work) or use an adapter.

Mocagirl

they would run great for 5 minutes then lose connection. The tech support couldn’t figure it out.

is it possible there was a setting like frequency that needed to be adjusted that would explain the cut outs actiontex couldn’t figure it out

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Mocagirl wrote:

Verizon uses channel D1 which is in the 1100-1175 MHz range. I read in other posts that you can change the frequency in the Actiontec adapters. The Verizon ones you cannot. If you want to give it another shot try using the Verizon FNA. They are only $55 and have four ethernet ports to connect other devices. They are also bonded 2.0, but if using the G1100 router they will be limited to around 400 mbps. The G1100 is MoCA 2.0.