Switch Account

need only cablecard, but forced to rent STB too?

need only cablecard, but forced to rent STB too?

SOLVED
Contributor
Contributor
Message 1 of 4
(5,052 Views)

I currently have Fios phone service and internet. Today I purchased a new Tivo HD DVR and called to add FIOS TV. I was told that I could not order just a cablecard - that I had to order at least one set top box as well. I have no use for an extra STB. Is there really some valid technical reason I need this STB or is it just an arbitrary policy?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Employee Emeritus Employee Emeritus
Employee Emeritus
Message 2 of 4
(5,011 Views)

You do not need a stb to get Fios TV service from verizon. You have recieved some misinformation.  All you need is one mcard which is a duel tuner that will work in your tivo.  Unfortunately the biz office is closed now but if you want to send me a private massage tomorrow between 1-9 pm i will be happy to clear this up for you 

Frank
Verizon Telecom
Fiber Solution Center

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supercede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 3 of 4
(5,030 Views)

@deltatango wrote:

I currently have Fios phone service and internet. Today I purchased a new Tivo HD DVR and called to add FIOS TV. I was told that I could not order just a cablecard - that I had to order at least one set top box as well. I have no use for an extra STB. Is there really some valid technical reason I need this STB or is it just an arbitrary policy?

I do not know that it is true. It may be that the system will not allow an order to be entered without a selection of a STB. Have the Installation done with an order placed for a SD box or a Non DVR HD-STB, along with a cablecard. After everything thing is working tell them you decided you do not need the STB and have it removed from your account. I have never heard of this rule, but then again the ordering system may be the cause. If you are near a FIOS store you can take it back and get a receipt rather then taking it to a UPS store to ship it back. If you take it to the UPS store you would need to have Verizon send you a RMA form.

Perhaps one of the very helpful Verizon employees here can answer this one.

See VZFrank beat me to the punch and answered your question.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Message 4 of 4
(4,824 Views)

Too many times I have gone to watch a show only to find it had deleted.  I have read the one sentence answers to this question and none of them apply to me.  Why is the DVR deleting programs it recorded?  Can someone give me a DETAILED answer to this question and a DETAILED solution?  Thanks

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.