new STB/DVR offline
Marieh1
Enthusiast - Level 2

After having Fios installed less than a month ago, I realized my DVD recorder would no longer work as it did with Comcast, so I decided to order the DVR, which evidently was a huge mistake.  I received it, installed it exactly as the original was installed, and it worked fine for a day and a half.  Recorded shows, etc.  Then I noticed I could not get any On Demand channels, video on demand, help menus, or set the DVR to record future episodes. I tried resetting the STB/DVR, router, followed every possible suggestion from 2 online chat sessions, in-home agent, etc. etc. etc.  Now, not only do I have no access to the DVR, but have no listing in the guide.  It shows the channels but no other information.  Also, the system information on the STB shows it as being offline.  After many frustrating hours of trying to get this to work, I gave up and ordered a replacement DVR (which the order status now shows I ordered two).   Has anyone else had this problem, and how do I get this fixed?  I loved the DVR the couple of days it did work.  I even tried emailing Verizon, but still nothing.

0 Likes
Re: new STB/DVR offline
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have any other boxes in the house? If so, try swapping them around. See if the problem follows the box or the location.

Did Verizon install the box for you? If not, is there a splitter involved? If so, could be a splitter problem. Sounds like you need to get a tech to come out and investigate the issue.

0 Likes
Marieh1
Enthusiast - Level 2

No other boxes.  What happened is, my STB was working fine. I decided to upgrade to the DVR, which worked fine for about a day and a half.   I disconnected the cables on the old box and connected them to the new and it worked fine for a day and a half.

I still get every channel fine, but none of the Widgets, on demand, help menus - pretty much anything that needs for the box to be online, and I can't get it to go online.  I tried changing the cheap splitter the tech put in when my Fios was installed, and replaced it with a better one.  I also changed all the cables.  I really didn't expect any of that to work, because everything worked fine exactly as it was for a day and a half.  My online account shows I have the STB that I returned and the new STB/DVR, but shows "information is unavailable" for the new DVR "check back later".

I finally gave up in frustration, and ordered a replacement DVR, which hasn't come yet.   If that doesn't work, I'll have to get a tech to come out if I can someone to stay here to meet them.  Thanks for the suggestions.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the STB is reporting offline, then there's a connectivity issue between your STB and the Router.  Do you have any splitters or amplifiers in your wiring anywhere?   The connection must go directly from the wall outlet to your STB (unless there is a splitter involved) and can not pass thru any other devices which may disrupt the digital signal.  Amplifiers are not compatible and must be removed.  Splitters must all be 5-1000mhz bi-directional digital grade.

Since you indicate you have a DVD recorder, you aren't by chance passing the coax from the wall first to the DVD recorder and then on to the STB are you?   Remove the DVD recorder from the installation temporarily and connect the wall outlet coax directly to the STB and see if things work.  You're basically looking for the system information to report that it's online.

How is your router provisioned for internet access?  Is there a cable in the ethernet WAN port of the router?  If not, get a splitter and try moving the router and STB to the same outlet temporarily -- using a splitter so you can have both devices connected.  Boot everything up and see if the STB reports it's online.

If so, then you having a wiring issue or bad cable in your house somewhere.   If not, then there is a problem with the STB ior Router's MoCA interface.

Marieh1
Enthusiast - Level 2

When  the Tech left after the initial installation, I noticed he had connected my DVD recorder the same way I had it connected with Comcast, however, that won't work with Fios - no real cable coming in and has to go through the STB.  So, I disconnected the DVD recorder altogether and decided to order the DVR from Fios.  Worked fine for a day and a half, then just stopped working for no apparent reason.  No splitters or cables were changed - I'm using the same ones the tech put on.  I honestly believe it is something with the STB and gave up with Live Chat help, which was no help really, and I ordered a replacement box.  Should be here in the next day or two, so we will see.  Thanks for the suggestions.

0 Likes
Marieh1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Now I am almost certain it is the STB. When I got home yesterday and turned the TV on, within maybe 10-15 minutes, the STB started rebooting itself and I had no TV for the rest of the night. The box just continually tries to reboot. I get a picture for about 30 seconds, then the rebooting starts again. I hear click, click, click, then it displays 8-8-8-8 and continues to click on and off. When I finally decided to just unplug it last night rather than have it rebooting all night long, I wasn't getting anything at all except the constant rebooting.

HOPEFULLY, the new STB comes today and fixes my problem. I really enjoyed Fios TV for the two weeks it worked Smiley Wink

0 Likes
Marieh1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think it was a problem with the STB.  I ordered a replacement, not knowing I should have ordered it as a swap.  When I tried to find information about swapping the boxes early on, a window popped up asking if I needed help.  I said yes, and was pointed to the self order page by the live chat person who just told me to order it myself 😞

So, now Verizon shows me as having a regular STB which I returned, and two DVRs.  After many hours of frustration, I went on to live chat last night again to try to get help.  THANK GOD I got Roger this time!  He was amazing. Extremely patient and thorough.  He could see everything in my account, explained what I did wrong when attempting to swap boxes, and got me up and running again with the new box!!  Now, I just have to deal with billing on the duplicate boxes.  I wish Verizon had clones of Roger!  He rocks!

0 Likes