noisy box
yoshiwbw

My set top box always hums audibly when it's plugged in.  It's especially noticeable in the evening when the tv is off, but it is also annoyingly audible during quiet moments on a tv broadcast.

Do others have this problem? 

0 Likes
Re: noisy box
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1

I have read in other forums where some have this same humming problem. I have had the same HD DVR STB for almost 2 years and it never hums or makes any nioses at all.

Make sure the box is properly ventilated, having 2 preferably 3 inches of clear space above the box. If it is out in the open or does have proper ventilation then you need to contact tech support and get the box replaced. It should not hum.

Message Edited by Joe01880 on 08-09-2008 08:26 AM
0 Likes
bjmitch
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have the same problem.  Initial research indicates the Verizon equipment may not be properly grounded.  I have attempted to contact Verizon about this but have not yet been able to spend the time neccesary to get past the automated help.
0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

Bjmitch

I would like to point out that improper grounding would not cause a stb to hum. Generally when the stb is making noises and such is due to the box not having proper ventilation. The fan in the box is most likely being over worked. This is the case with my DVR and Standard boxes. I have proped them up just a tad which allows a bit more air to travel through the box and the issue is resolved.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@bjmitch wrote:
I have the same problem.  Initial research indicates the Verizon equipment may not be properly grounded.  I have attempted to contact Verizon about this but have not yet been able to spend the time neccesary to get past the automated help.

WHAT?  Please explain what humming STB (not buzz on the audio) has to do with grounding?  The "hum" from a DVR is usually a noisy hard drive which is never shut down (even when the power is "off" ) . Improper grounding (I assume you are referring to the articles about ONT installations) might (and I stress might) cause a buzz in the audio due to ground potential differences in the users equipment, but this is somewhat unlikely since most consumer equipment is not ground referenced (majority of equipment is 2 wire not 3 wire power from the wall).

0 Likes
jamieva
Contributor - Level 1
Oh thank goodness I found this thread.  I had a standard HD STB that was fine, no sounds.  I got a HD DVR box on Friday and it hums constantly and it drives me nuts when I'm trying to watch tv and i can hear that humming in with the tv sound.  I will try the ventilation idea.  Right now I have my DVD player on top of it, this was not a problem for the previous box.
0 Likes
bjmitch
Enthusiast - Level 2
in my case the hum emanates from the tv - I don't have the technical expertise to respond to any of this but will stay tuned to see if I come across anything that can address the problem
0 Likes
jamieva
Contributor - Level 1
I took the DVD player off the top of mine and the humming has gone away.  Looks like it's a ventilation issue.
0 Likes
kvelling1
Contributor - Level 1
IF you take the time to read the STB manual they ALL state that nothing should be placed on top of the STB -Specifically stated, there should be 2" minimum space ABOVE and on EACH SIDE of the STB.
0 Likes
Ucamuk1
Enthusiast - Level 3

As stated above, the box needs breathing room.  Do not cover the vent slots on the top and sides.  However, most DVD players do not have vents on the top, so you can place the STB/DVR box on your DVD player.

The humming you hear is most probably the motor in the hard drive.  I was able to eliminate much of the sound by cutting 4 small squares from a green 'Scotch Brite' scrub pad and placing the squares under each foot of the box.  Use the type of pad that does not have a sponge attached.

Message Edited by ucamuk on 10-26-2008 10:38 PM
0 Likes