PLEH

How do i go about setting up pip using new hd box and new digital box.  any ideas?

tks pleh

0 Likes
Re: pip
PJL
Master - Level 3
Your TV must support PiP since the Verizon boxes do not support PiP within the boxes (at this time at least).  You would need to feed a TV that supports PiP with an output from each of two STBs, switch between them using the TV's functionality, and tune each of the STBs separately.  Sounds cumbersome to me.  There are rumors that the HD DVR will eventually support PiP within the box (since it has two tuners) but Verizon has made no commitments to this of which I am aware.
0 Likes
Killswitch
Use another STB?  That is outrageous.  I wish I had never switched from digital cable.  FIOS is terrible. 
0 Likes
cylanoid
so If I had an extra box, I could use my pip?  My tv is equipped, but from what your saying, i'd have to hook up two boxes?  And switch inputs on the tv?  like av1 and av2?  That's not using your pip.... i could just as easily hit the "back" button to check the score of another game.  So my quiestion is... Can I hook up two boxes to my tv, and use the PIP.  Tune one box to a game, and tune one to the other, watching the second game in my second picture?  And if yes, how do I do it?
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Here's how pip works.  You have different inputs going into your television.  This gives you the oportunity to have different types of signals for each input. ie: dvd, video game, tv tuners, vcr's etc.  You select which input will play in your pip.

For instance, the guy crying he should go back to cable...You could use the tuner from the tv for one input, but you need a second tuner for another input.

FioS: You would need 2 tuners to supply 2 seperate stations. 

One option...have 2 Set top boxes side by side feeding 2 seperate signals to the tv

Second option:  I saw this today..A customer ran one station from the stb next to the tv.  He then ran an extra wire from his bedroom reciever to the same tv...that was input two...

Now you have to go to your pip options and select which signal goes to which picture.

0 Likes
Jazzper
Enthusiast - Level 1

or.....

switch to Dish Network as their dual-tuner DVR lets you do PIP by just clicking the appropriate button on the remote. 

What a concept!!!

Oh how I miss their DVR and menu guide.

Oh how I regret not reading some of these threads before switching(:

Message Edited by Jazzper on 12-08-2008 11:06 AM
0 Likes
izub
Enthusiast - Level 3
Come Feb all analog feeds will need a stb for each input unless you have a QAM so Comcast TW whomever won't work... Fios is just ahead of them
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@izub wrote:
Come Feb all analog feeds will need a stb for each input unless you have a QAM so Comcast TW whomever won't work... Fios is just ahead of them

ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!!  While Comcast and others may drop analog, there is no requirement for them to at this time.  This is only for full powered OTA (over the air) stations and people who use an antenna.  Comcast and others will continue (for some time at least) to provide analog basic cable that won't require a box or QAM tuner.

0 Likes
igrok
Here's what I did with a Sony TV that supports pip.  I have the moto6416 into input 1 by hdmi, and I also bought a $50 over the air antenna, and hooked it up by coax input.  On the TV, I have my usual picture from the fios box, but when I'd like to do pip, I select it on the TV remote, and I see the fios box picture on the left, and the antenna picture on the right, and can switch audio and size between the two by just hitting the left and right buttons on the remote.  No it's not like having a box that will provide its own pip, but it works if one of the two pictures you want to see is from ota.  And it's cheap.
0 Likes
Paddy

I have said this before and I'll say it again. Verizon needs to get their stuff together.  The Motorola Boxes are capable of supporting PiP, Verizon just has not made the software upgrade for that to happen.  The get two STBs idea is flat CRAZY.  My sister in law subscribes to Cox in San Diego and her STB is fully PiP functional.

If you want PiP, keep harping on VERIZON!!!!  They are the ones who need to get competitive with the competition and make it happen!!

Paddy

0 Likes