problems with DVR "Record Series"
abd08

We watch a show that comes on each weekday.  The show comes on in the morning, but the same episode is shown again later in the afternoon.  We only need to record one showing.  One of the ways FiOS offers for recording a weekly series is the "Record Series with Options" method.  When this is chosen, one of the things we can specify is the Episodes option:  we can choose either "First Run Only", or alternatively, "First Run and Repeats".  Even though we have chosen the "First Run Only" option for this, the repeat is nevertheless recorded each day.  So by the end of the week, we have to go through and get rid of 5 shows we didn't need in the first place.  And removing a recorded item is a bit tedious anyway, as it requires selecting it and then verifying that yes, we really do want to remove it (DirectTV offers a way of removing a recording without this sort of verification).  Has anyone else here experienced the problem of a "First Run Only" specification being ignored?  Maybe it's a system bug, but still, whatever its source, it essentially renders the recording option useless.

Very frustrating.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: problems with DVR "Record Series"
MikeT
Contributor - Level 1

I had the same problem.  I wanted to record some HGTV shows that are live at say 8:30 and are repeated at 12:30.  I did not want to record the 8:30 show so I went into the series manager, selected the show, selected modify series, and then selected the airtime tab.  This is where you have to select "selected show time".  Make sure that you select "save" then exit.

In your instance, just go into the series manager and modify the series to under airtime and select "selected show time".

This DVR is different than my COX DVR.

Mike T.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
It is not being ignored.  Most likely what is happening is that the guide has both showings listed with the new flag.  9 times out of 10 (or higher) these issues are caused by faulty guide data as provided by "FYI".
0 Likes
abd08
Hmm, any idea what the source of the guide data is?  As in, for "faulty guide data as provided by 'FYI' ", who/what is 'FYI'??
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@abd08 wrote:
Hmm, any idea what the source of the guide data is?  As in, for "faulty guide data as provided by 'FYI' ", who/what is 'FYI'??

The source is "FYI." They are the provider of the guide data for FiOS.

There have been lots and lots of complaints about the guide data - just flat incorrect listings, incorrect flags (new, repeat), can't record programs that are in the list, etc. My understanding (my hope!) is that the contract with FYI is through the end of 2008, and that hopefully we will get a new provider in 2009 (and don't be confused by the TV Guide logo on the guide, they apparently have nothing to do with the content of the guide).

All we can do is hope I think.

0 Likes
MikeT
Contributor - Level 1

I had the same problem.  I wanted to record some HGTV shows that are live at say 8:30 and are repeated at 12:30.  I did not want to record the 8:30 show so I went into the series manager, selected the show, selected modify series, and then selected the airtime tab.  This is where you have to select "selected show time".  Make sure that you select "save" then exit.

In your instance, just go into the series manager and modify the series to under airtime and select "selected show time".

This DVR is different than my COX DVR.

Mike T.

0 Likes
abd08

Thanks for the info, Justin.  Yes, let's hope FiOS gets a new provider for the guide data.

I will try MikeT's suggestion tomorrow.  If it works for me, I'll report the good news to this forum.

ps.  a nice hint of irony:  when I do a spell check on the post I'm about to submit, spelling corrections are suggested for 'FiOS'.  And for 'DVR'.

0 Likes
abd08

MikeT, your suggestion has worked for me 2 days in a row now.  No more need to delete extra copies of a show's episodes!

Thanks!!

0 Likes