"Audio Only" on HD channnels
Mrs_Dean_Wormer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have an lg smart tv with the cable going right into the tv.  (No box - our box is on a different tv inthe house.). In the past few days the low-def versions of the local channels work but the hi-def channels are mostly black with a floating box that says  “audio only.”  i can hear the audio perfecly fine but no picture.  Any thoughts as to what’s going on here?  This is in Westford, MA.  Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: "Audio Only" on HD channnels
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is another post about losing HD channel in MA. It is possible that Verizon is doing some sort of channel maintenance in your area. I would try a rescan for the next couple days to see if it fixes the issue. 

HD channels are still working in PA area on my TV thst is connected to coax. 

EHollick
Enthusiast - Level 1

I noticed the issue of no HD channels (via QAM tuner on TV - no set-top-box) on Tuesday, 07/16/19, in Hudson, MA.

After rescanning channels and Verizon FiOS tech support sending reset signal to netowrk interface (box in basement that converts fiber to coax) did not resolve, a tech was dispatched.

Tech arrived this morning (07/18/19) and foundn the network interface was not putting out a good quality signal. This probably explains intermittent internet lapses (that I often thought were just the servers being accessed).

So, even though I now have the most up-to-date network interface, I still don't have the HD channels.  Tech found the signal coming thru on his test equipment, but did not have a solution why no HD channels display on the TV.

Both TV's show that the signal is there. One shows a black screen (would be blue if no signal for that channel) and other receives audio, but a blank picture.

Hope this is resolved soon.

0 Likes
Mrs_Dean_Wormer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.  I called Verizon and was just told that from their pov the signal is fine, period.  This has happened occasionally before, but only on one channel, and only for a day or so.  I conferred with the folks at Best Buy and they think it's a FIOS issue, since I'm getting other channels, and streaming works fine in HD.  (The TV is not under warranty, so they have no skin in the game.)  We had lost internet at the same time that this started, I think related to some thunderstorms that we had just after July 4th so perhaps something happened then.  The internet is back, but not the HD.  Next step will be to get someone out from Verizon to look into this.

0 Likes
EHollick
Enthusiast - Level 1

Looking forward to hearing what the tech finds out. 

The tech that visited today did see an issue with the old network interface (circa 2009 install) - but this just HD channels missing was beyond what he could troubleshoot - especially where his equipment showed those channels as having a signal.

Considering the geographic dispersement and different brands of TV's, doubtful it is something that suddenly stopped working in all of our TV sets.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can basically verify what the tech saw if you go menu> settings> system information> info, you'll have a page with the signal info for the channel you are tuned to. SNR should say GOOD, short term error count should be 0, or very low. Also look at OOB data, again anything less than good in SNR says there is a signal issue. If not there is possibly a bad splitter or bad coax cable or connector or ONT issue.

Mrs_Dean_Wormer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hmm, I don't see any of that info, but in the channel scan mode it says that the signal is 100% (and says "audio only" in a little box.)  

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@clem53 wrote:

You can basically verify what the tech saw if you go menu> settings> system information> info, you'll have a page with the signal info for the channel you are tuned to. SNR should say GOOD, short term error count should be 0, or very low. Also look at OOB data, again anything less than good in SNR says there is a signal issue. If not there is possibly a bad splitter or bad coax cable or connector or ONT issue.

The posters are not using set-tops. Just coax to the TV. Verizon must have done something to signal in MA. There are a lot of posts complaining about this issue. 

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Edg1 wrote:

@clem53 wrote:

The posters are not using set-tops. Just coax to the TV. Verizon must have done something to signal in MA. There are a lot of posts complaining about this issue. 

Ahhhhhh, my bad. Didnt notice that, thanks.

EHollick
Enthusiast - Level 1

Received a call today from Verizon Service Managaement so they could understand what the issue was the tech that was here last week wasn’t able to resolve.

I made reference to this forum and others with similar circumstances over a diverse Burlington MA market area. 

He agreed something must have happened at a system level. He said he would be talking to some folks in the technical areas.  

Hopefully, we will see our HD channels (soon).

0 Likes