"BAD GATEWAY" - Unruly STB
robert1117
Enthusiast - Level 1

Greetings.  This is my first forum post so if I broke protocol...or worse, please be gentle.

I have two STBs with a Hi-Def DVR in each; located in the Living Room (LR) & Bedroom (BR).  There is also one digital adapter for the office.  My PC is running:  Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit, 2.66GHZ, 4.0 GB RAM

NOTE: For the following issues I have done most of the obvious "first aid" (reboot everything, clean PC temp files, etc, on line troubleshooting, etc etc.).  The In Home Agent is unresponsive and refuses to reinstall (?).  There are no known issues with the Win7 OS or PC operation in general.

Living Room (LR) STB

The (LR) STB will not communicate with my PC (It did at one time).  The only response I now receive is "BAD GATEWAY", an error which I have been unable to find reference to on the web site.  BTW, the "Bad Gateway" error message is displayed in FiOS' format and colors.  While the (BR) STB has its own issues, it does communicate with the PC.  Two days ago the LR STB decided to wipe the DVR.  Existing recording and scheduled recordings, POOF, gone.

Bedroom (BR) STB

This STB will communicate with the PC (remote scheduling, recording, favorite list adjustments, etc), however... it is "possessed".  As in "Videodrome" and "They're heeere..." possessed.  Out of the blue, this STB will generate a loud metallic/electrical "CRACK" sound and shut itself down, followed by the TV .  This is about when the strong smell of burnt sulfur hits the nostrils.  An off-white screen appears, a faint voice-like sound is heard,  then a plain text "Enter Code __ __ __ __" message displays in the upper left of the screen.  Before you can react, the screen goes dark and begins a quick reboot process as if nothing happened.  Alright, I made up the sulfur thing and the faint voice, but it is unnerving.  It didn't help that the last time it happened was during the season finale of "Walking Dead".

Coincidentally, Media Manager refuses to open, etc., but that's for another forum, another day.

Thanks very much in advance for any assistance.

Happy Holidays.

It's funny, the FiOS installer bore an uncanny resemblance to James Woods.

0 Likes
Re: "BAD GATEWAY" - Unruly STB
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well the BR DVR with that loud electrical snap sounds like it poped a capacitor. That would have me concerned as well. Personally, I'd call and ask that it be replaced. I wouldnt want to take a chance that there is an electrical problem that may cause a short and start a fire. (I had a DVD player do that once)

Now for the LR dvr, "Bad Gateway" usually means that it is not getting through the Routers firewall properly. I'd try resetting the router (press and hold the little red button on the back of the router for 10-15 seconds. A paperclip or toothpick will be needed to accomplish this). Then once the router is reset and back up and working. Then reboot both DVR's. Either by unplugging them both from electric for 10-15 seconds, or by going to menu---customer support---In home Agent---Reboot STB. Then once both DVR's are back up and working. try reaccessing the media manager.

Also make sure that you do not have a firewall on the computer that may be interfearing

robert1117
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks very much for the reply.  I haven't had a chance to do the complete reboot process yet, but I wanted to let you know I got your post.  I'll revisit this thread with an update.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
robert1117
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well, just completed the following:

1.  Rebooted the router with the "Reset" switch

2.  Rebooted both STBs by disconnecting the AC power cord from each; waiting 30 sec before powering up.

3.  Rebooted the PC (for good measure)

4.  Turned Windows Firewall off.

0 Likes
robert1117
Enthusiast - Level 1

(continued)

Disabled virus protection.

0 Likes
robert1117
Enthusiast - Level 1

(continued)

The good news:

Everything came back up.

The not so good news:

Now both DVRs are registering as "Bad Gateway" and will not respond.

and...

While the Verizon rep happened to be exceptionally helpful and knowledgeable, all of their diagnostic equipment was "down for maintenance"

Back to square one...

~sigh

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

hi,  as long as all the port forwarding is correct on the Verizon side and the Verizon Router, then the only time I have seen anyone get bad gateway was when they were using Firefox or Chrome.  for some reason the remote DVR on the web really likes IE, and questionably works with firefox.

So Try Internet explorer.   if it still doesn't work, do the click to chat.  the over the phone guys are hit or miss, and I have gotten real good support on the click to chat for the web applications like remote dvr.

http://www22.verizon.com/content/ContactUs/

0 Likes
Chilll1

Hi I was having the  problem of bad gateway.Finally it was fixed.Resetting the router at your end wont do it..The agent(Finally got one who knows what he is doing) what he did was Break the DHCP Lease at his end.I then unplugged the router for 30 sec.Now I can see my dvr s recordings,etc.on the verizon website and on my iphone..He told me you can do it using the verizon inhome agent also.

0 Likes