Re: "Bad gateway" issue (again!!!)
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

This takes just a few minutes to fix via the online chat tech support window.   I've had it happen a couple of times (pretty much whenever you replace or add a new box and sometimes after power failures).   Just tell them you're getting a bad gateway message when you try to program your DVR from the web interface.   They know how to quickly fix this.

To reduce the incidence of this reoccurring, after you have a working configuration, go into your router under Advance -> IP Address Distribution and find each of your STB's (IP-STB).  Edit each entry and check the box which says "make static".   This will insure each box gets the same IP address every time.   As long as you don't reset your router (using the reset button), they should stay mapped properly.

0 Likes
magfield

I have been trying to use the remote access for a total of four months. I have gotten the bad gateway message for all but 3 WEEKS! It clearly doesn't work very well. The chat technicians are, by and large, useless. I'm on chat right now with some guy named Mohd. He hasn't a clue what I am talking about. Knows nothing about the 1000+ complaints, and (once again) wants to escalate the issue, but hasn't tried to do this remapping that Verizon talked about.

THE

0 Likes
bevross
Contributor - Level 1

@lasagna wrote:

This takes just a few minutes to fix via the online chat tech support window.   I've had it happen a couple of times (pretty much whenever you replace or add a new box and sometimes after power failures).   Just tell them you're getting a bad gateway message when you try to program your DVR from the web interface.   They know how to quickly fix this.

To reduce the incidence of this reoccurring, after you have a working configuration, go into your router under Advance -> IP Address Distribution and find each of your STB's (IP-STB).  Edit each entry and check the box which says "make static".   This will insure each box gets the same IP address every time.   As long as you don't reset your router (using the reset button), they should stay mapped properly.

You've had more success with tech support than I have.  I'm afraid they'd try "re-setting" from their end & that zaps my favorites list (they've done this; wish there was a way to save favorites online so as to quickly re-set; otherwise it's a pain to do).   I'm a bit hesitant to change settings in the router config but guess I could take a look at some point in the near future.

A brief 30-second power failure is what did my box in this last time.

0 Likes
Mike_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

Until this issue has a permanent resolution the only way to fix this problem presently is for Verizon Technical Support to remap the DVR path for you.  I am sorry for any inconvenience.

0 Likes
Mike_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

I have sent private messages to magfield, ldm1701, mmcglynncg, and licnewbie to address the remote DVR access. Please respond when available.

Thank you

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Mike_VZ's got the right language "remap the DVR path".    Resetting your router and/or your STB will NOT fix this problem.   you need to make sure the tech support person understands that you're trying to use "MyVerizon" web site to setup a problem on your remote DVR so that you get them focused on the the forwarding rules in the router and not on STB.

0 Likes
licnewbie

Hey Mike --thanks for the help. Would you remap my drive or anything else you need to do? How do I request a technical fix to that?

0 Likes
jcartmell
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently changed service addresses and brought all equipment with me.  At installation, the FIOS tech swapped out my router (revD to revF), but I am now having this issue which I wasn't having before.  Any chance of help from this forum on fixing this, or has an automated fix been implemented?  Thanks all.

0 Likes
jcartmell
Enthusiast - Level 2
I'm not sure if this is a coincidence, but could this looks have been an activation issue.  Even though had "activated" remote DVR from my browser (IE8), I also to activate from the STB on the tv.  Then it only worked at first in Google Chrome, but I know can see it working in IE8.  Very strange.  . 
0 Likes
nelle3

I am having the same problem. Could someone please help me?  I called Tech Support and they reset the box etc. It solved one problem - I could not play recordings on either the main LR box or the remote BR box - but I am still getting the bad gateway message. I then saw this thread and realized there might be a different fix. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes