Re: "Currently Unavailable" message on many channels
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

The HDMI Handshake issue is a fact.  do a google search.   -AND If you go to your TV manufacturer's web site you probably would find information about it AND possibly a patch that could be downloaded and transferred to your TV via the usb port on the TV (if yours has one); 

but that may not be the cause of YOUR issues

The firmware glitch in 7xxx series set top boxes manufactured by Motorola is a fact.  This is something Verizon could not have anticipated based upon the product specifications supplied to its vendor, and, as a matter of normal business, Verizon is holding that vendor responsible for the shortcomings, and patches, supplied to Verizon by Motorola, are coming as soon as Verizon can get them out.  (not all geographical areas are supplied by the same equipment, and so different equipment may require different programming to get that patch to different areas) (I don't have any insight as to why the company sends patches to one area and not another on the same time schedule)

but that may not be the cause of YOUR issues

The coax cable 'poor connections' cause is also legit.   As noted above by someone else, the fios (fiber optics) system of media delivery uses MUCH more of the bandwidth available in the coax cable than anything before it, and thus (and especially the HD), it is more susceptable to inconsistencies in the throughput of the signal.  -It may either not work at all when experiencing inconsistencies in throughput of the signal OR it may cause 'confusions' to build up in the set top box, over time, that eventually cause it to not work ("currently unavailable"), which is why the "unplug for a minute or so", or a reload of the programming by a Fios Tech Support person, WORKS.

of course, it is also possible that you got a bad set top box, but if the issue is "only certain channels display 'channel unavailable' some of the time", or even all stations some of the time, it's not the box.  

It makes sense to believe that the field techs that come out to your house are trained to test the cable throughput, and they are required to change the splitter and \ or cable ends when they find a problem.  They cannot anticipate, however, how the quality of the coax in your home will affect the greator content coming through it from the fiber optics system, nor can they guarantee that a minor bump or movement of the coax cable at any point in the configuration will not affect the reception of all or any one or two or three stations on your set top boxes. 

MoCA works!

0 Likes
theos2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Cliff notes of above post:

DO not blame or expect Verizon to fix our problems, the buck does not stop with them.

And you can see the bias in the post when the user blames the glitch of the 7 series box on Motorola.  As if Verizon doesn't do any internal testing of the hardware the distribute. 

The purpose of this post was to clarify the REAL issues people are having in the real world, and one or 2 people have managed to not only further confuse them, but also blame the incorrect parties.

0 Likes
kschles
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thought I'd chime in with my recent experience.  About a week after my FIOS install, I strated receiving "currently unavailable" message on about a dozen channels (only on my HD DVR STB, but not on my other HD STB).  Rebooting didn't help.  Finally called tech support, which had me bring up the diagnostic screen for one of the channels.  The signal strength was too low.  A Tech visit was scheduled.

The Verizon tech came yesterday and did the following:

1) Changed out some hardware on one of the inside cables.

2) Changed the outside signal splitter from one that had 4 outputs to one that had only 2, which is what I needed.  He said using the 4 output splitter wasn't necessarily wrong, but the unused outputs should have been capped, and they weren't; leading to a loss of signal strength.

3) Tightened up the connection on the cable running from the box outside my house.  He said the original connection was very loose, which would lead to signal loss.

That's it.  So far so good (hope I don't Jinx things by this post).

0 Likes
ecc444
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am on the with VZ right now for this issue! It happens at least once a day and simply telling me to unplug the box every time this happens is NOT expectable. There is a reason, an issue that needs to be resolved and unplugging the box is NOT a fix!

My error usually occurs when I turn to TNT, the TV freezes to "currently unavailable" and the box freezes, will not respond to remote. From my research I've came to the conclusion that it is an HDMI compatibility issue with my Philips HDTV. It has been suggested that I use component cables instead of HDMI but one reason I upgraded and bought a new HDTV was to have the simplicity of running only 1 HDMI cable. There is NO reason why VZ Fios should not support HDMI.

I am growing more and more disappointed every day with Fios

0 Likes
mdr227
Contributor - Level 1
I had this issue initially with our HD TV and one FIOS DVR and was told it was probably the HMDI cable.  Went out and got a Component cable for $30 and still have the same issue.  Now it is happening on all of my other boxes as well here and there which are non-HD and use composite connections.  Resetting the box helps for a while, but then it happens all over again.  We are in a fairly new house with new coaxial cable laid throughout so don't think that is the problem.  Does anyone know when the fireware for the 7200 series DVRs will be out?
0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

If it isn't a handshake issue with hdmi, which can and does happen -- just one of the drawbacks to hdmi, or if it isn't a coax or splitter issue then it is probably a bug in the software your boxes may have. 

If you look at this post: http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_TV&thread.id=7847&page=1

The update addressing that issue (and others) is being rolled out to different regions currently.  Should fix you right up if it is software related.

0 Likes
nodrog
Just to echo this post. I have the same problem and have also had several FIOS techs try to blame my cables. It is not the cables. The service is faulty, and continuing to charge customers for faulty service constitutes breach of contract.
0 Likes
nodrog
did they charge you the cancellation fee?
0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

As stated by the Verizon employees, there will be a software update to address this issue. 

This thread is now closed.

0 Likes